What a waste at an auction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been to an auction in some time, but I used to go to a lot of them. Things may have changed, but it used to be common for shills to openly bid on behalf of either the owner or the auctioneer. It was also common for an auctioneer to withdraw an item if he didn't like the bidding, whether or not he had announced a reserve. At one sale I remember, the auctioneer had been withdrawing a lot of items. When he put a pair of crutches up, somebody shouted "You better keep them. You might need them before the sale's over".

Another practice I've run into is "chandelier" bidding. (Obviously the term, if not the practice, originated in indoor auction halls.) The auctioneer would gesture toward the back of the room and announce a bid. If there was no obvious bidder, the running joke was that he was taking bids from the chandelier.

Sometimes, at farm auctions, the auctioneer would announce that he would be bidding on a particular item for himself, or for an absentee bidder.

If a piece of junk didn't sell, it would be combined with the next item. If it still didn't sell, it would go in the unsold pile. At the end of the sale, there was always a scrap dealer willing to bid on the pile, so nothing went unsold.

There was one auctioneer in particular who was notorious for his sketchy practices. As well as his rather imaginative descriptions, it was common knowledge that he owned a lot of the things he auctioned. Often a machine would be "sold" and then turn up at the next business he liquidated. As well as doing on-site sales, he had his own yard where he handled consignments, a lot of which were actually his own stuff. Sometimes an item would sit unsold in his yard for weeks until finally, he'd say "Who'll take it for free?" I often found I could make a better deal by approaching him after the sale was over and making an offer on an unsold item, than by bidding against his shills. I kept going back because there were some genuine bargains to be had. People became so wary of bidding that a lot of stuff ended up going for less than scrap value.

Kijiji is no better sometimes. I made arrangements on Wednesday to go buy a used sawmill early this morning. Guy was to text me back to confirm. I got the cash out of the bank, arranged my day to make it work and the guy never texts me back or returns any emails. Nothing, screwed up my whole day and I already had some jobs lined up for the mill. Now I'm trying to convince myself not to just go out and buy the new one.

I was kind of pissed about the guy not emailing me back so I used my wife's name and email to send a request to see if it was still available. The guy just emailed it back and said "yes, still available $3800 FIRM." He sent me an email saying $3000 last Wednesday. I guess the 200 views in 2 days made him think it was worth more. Brand new without extensions if $3,499. Canadian. Extensions are $400 each and it has 2. That's still way too much for a used machine.

Gonna let the shill bidding horse die. I went to the auction house yesterday to get my money. Made $115. $70 was on an $800 Oak curio cabinet. Put it on CL at $400, no offers, on Facebook Yard Sale at $100, one lady offered $50. So I took it to the auction. I was cleaning out my basement, stuff left over from my Mom's house and my wife's Grand Mothers. I had to give back $20 to toss all the stuff in the dumpster that didn't sell. Furniture does not resale well. maybe folks are afraid of bed bugs and other vermin. They had sofa's that looked brand new, going it the dumpster. Couldn't get $1 bid. It's a good thing most of the stuff we're after is machinery that does hold a pretty good resale value. Where you get your bidding number they have a sign that says, "Bid Rigging is a Felony. Under the Sherman Act". So, we all know it takes place all the time. Now at least I know it's a federal offense, not state by state. Horse died, Joe.

Good point. What cracks me up is how they, usually decorators spending some one else's money, buy old furniture that has been "distressed". Splotch some white paint on it, run a bead of blue around the top, hit it with some sand paper. Good to go, Joe.

As with the gold Rush and for getting rich sold shovels, Annie Sloane Chalk paint and soft wax, good earner.

Furniture doesn't sell well (here anyway) as people don't have the Van or truck to move it. I managed to get a g-plan dinning table and 6 chairs for less than my parents paid for a g-plan coffee table, all eBay and standard prices. The coffee table is small so will fit in a car boot, hence more people bid.

Back