what about electric splitters????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mig,

I have the 16 ton Ramsplitter electric, wired 120v. (but also 220) and am always surprised at how much it does. It is identical to a gas splitter, engine, pump, valve, ram, etc, but simply replaces the gas engine with a 20 amp , nominal 2 hp (or 10 am, with 220 v.) capacitor start, capacitor run electric motor (like a heavy compressor). It is 1750 rmp, with an 11 gmp pump, so I guess that means it really only pumps 5.5 gal per minutes. But that seems fine since it uses a hydraulic cylinder that 3.5 diamter, with a ram that is 18" inch long. By my calculation, PSI wise, it is only a little less than a gas engine, with a four inch cylinder, because I have put a gauge on it, and tweaked the pressure up to 2500 psi, still less than the component ratings.

The torque characteristics of electric motors seem to fit well with hydraulics ie., electric motors don't slow down when loaded and 1750 rpm electric motors have twice the torque of the similar 3450 rpm motor. My ATF fluid does not heat up, and it starts in the coldest weather we have which is about zero.

It is not silent, since the pump makes it's own noise, and wood makes a surprising amount of of noise as it is being torn apart, but there are no bothersome noise issues or fumes to worry about.

With a four way wedge (which I use all the time) . and splitting table, it was about $1100. One could swap out the electric motor for a gas engine, if one wanted, or mount both together, with a means to redirect the flow to the desired engine. I think that will be my next project.

To me, this machine represents a nice balance. It does virtually all my firewood, but also makes splitting small pieces for kindling very easy. I should note that my stove only takes 18 inch or smaller wood, and the max length it can handle is about twenty inches. The unit with a box beam instead of I beam and shorter ram is much smaller than a normal splitter, and I can shove/pull it around by hand.

Dave Howell

real men use hydraulics.

:cheers:

Errr..come again..?

sshd.jpg

:smoking:

I debating between an 5 ton electric one or the Brave 8ton EZ split. The EZ split is nice and compact and should be able to split most of the wood I would need, but its much more expensive than an electric. I definitely do not want a large splitter to store and renting is a pain. The electric one seems appealing, however I read that the 5 ton electric splitters don't split green wood all that well. Anyone ever use a 8 ton EZ split?

Errr..come again..?

sshd.jpg

:smoking:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :)

I ordered my SS with gas but will put an electric motor on it. Paul said a 1hp will run it fine. And a mechanical is silent w/elec. Also very quiet w/gas.

crowbait; I am suprised, however, that the elec. side isn't as quite as I expected. Moving hydro fluid thru pipes and hoses, under that much pressure, still creates significant noise. Still...not anything like the gas engine.

The hyrdo pump is making all the noise. I built an 5hp elec hydro press for blacksmith forging and the 16 gpm log splitter pump is a screamer. Very loud!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :)

I ordered my SS with gas but will put an electric motor on it. Paul said a 1hp will run it fine. And a mechanical is silent w/elec. Also very quiet w/gas.

The hyrdo pump is making all the noise. I built an 5hp elec hydro press for blacksmith forging and the 16 gpm log splitter pump is a screamer. Very loud!

I bought mine setup for gas, but...with winter coming soon and a big heated barn at my disposal, it may be REAL nice to convert over to electric for the winter....:clap:

I bought mine setup for gas, but...with winter coming soon and a big heated barn at my disposal, it may be REAL nice to convert over to electric for the winter....:clap:

1 to 1.5 hp elec motor not too expensive and easy to mount. Would be nice!

Should have mine in a week or so :cheers:

Latest posts

Back