What an evening (please read at least the end)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The only relevance to the forum is the fact that I was delivering a load of firewood to my wife's grandparents, but thought I would share anyway.

After running out of seasoned wood for sale for this season, my buddy who owns a tree service made a deal with me I couldn't refuse--take my TW-5 and split all the wood I want, just split it with him 50/50. To throw out a number, I would guess he has about 200 cords of wood cut into rounds varying from 14"-20" depending on the diameter. Last Sunday I split roughly five cords.

To make a short story long, I find out my wifes grandparents have no wood. Her grandfather is a scrappy 78 year old with a defibrillator and a pacemaker, who has no business cutting and/or splitting wood, but would do it anyway. So I throw about a 1.5 cords on the dump trailer and we head down toward the farm. On the way, we saw a heavy plume of smoke along the road and came upon a house with fire blazing out of the second story windows and through part of the roof. A teenager and older couple were from the front door. I stopped while my wife called 911 I ran to the house and saw a dog in the front window. I went in to get the dog only to get a pretty good bite on my right hand, but was able to get him out.

Fortunately, everyone in the house was fine although with the 18 minute FD response all appeared to be lost. When we got home this evening we had a long discussion with our kids about fire safety. Also, I discovered that two of our four smoke detectors have dead batteries.

The point: This was an eye opening experience for me. Since the vast majority of us have wood burners of some sort here, please check and make sure you have the basics working properly, like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, etc. We went as far as to review our escape routes and our meeting place in front of the house. I want everyone to be here after the woodburning season!

There used to be a time in america where every person would do something like that for strangers. Now the majority of people are to selfish to do anything to help another out. It is great to see that their are real people still out there. This ones for you buddy:cheers:

Great reminder!!!!

I gotta re-do our smoke and CO detectors.

And thanks for getting the pooch out.They're a critter, but family all the same. Losing a house is devastating, Losing a house and the mutt at the same time is just unthinkable. You spared them that much.:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Great reminder!!!!

And thanks for getting the pooch out.They're a critter, but family all the same. Losing a house is devastating, Losing a house and the mutt at the same time is just unthinkable. You spared them that much.:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

They said they initially forgot about him in all the confusion. I was suprised how little smoke there was on the first floor except near the ceiling. The FD probably would have got him ok, but very humbling experience. Tucking the kids in had extra meaning tonight!

It makes you think.:confused: Gotta go check my batteries also, Thanks , Good post!!:clap:

Good post, and good reminder. Me being a volunteer firemen for 10+ years now, it still amazes me how people can forget to change the one most important thing that can save there life. I have seen lots of homes were people only had one smoke detector, and that was in the kitchen and opened with the battery disconnected.

Please remember to change your battery

Beefie

A little rep to the OP for bringing up this topic

Great reminder!!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2::agree2: rep to you....

Thank you for the reminder. Certainly doesn't cross my mind nearly as often as it should. One great thing about having a child is I know that I have every type of battery known to mankind! I'm sure there are a couple of new 9v in the battery drawer.

I do have a question. Since we no longer use any type of gas or heating fuel due to the OWB, is a carbon monoxide detector still needed?

The only relevance to the forum is the fact that I was delivering a load of firewood to my wife's grandparents, but thought I would share anyway.

After running out of seasoned wood for sale for this season, my buddy who owns a tree service made a deal with me I couldn't refuse--take my TW-5 and split all the wood I want, just split it with him 50/50. To throw out a number, I would guess he has about 200 cords of wood cut into rounds varying from 14"-20" depending on the diameter. Last Sunday I split roughly five cords.

To make a short story long, I find out my wifes grandparents have no wood. Her grandfather is a scrappy 78 year old with a defibrillator and a pacemaker, who has no business cutting and/or splitting wood, but would do it anyway. So I throw about a 1.5 cords on the dump trailer and we head down toward the farm. On the way, we saw a heavy plume of smoke along the road and came upon a house with fire blazing out of the second story windows and through part of the roof. A teenager and older couple were from the front door. I stopped while my wife called 911 I ran to the house and saw a dog in the front window. I went in to get the dog only to get a pretty good bite on my right hand, but was able to get him out.

Fortunately, everyone in the house was fine although with the 18 minute FD response all appeared to be lost. When we got home this evening we had a long discussion with our kids about fire safety. Also, I discovered that two of our four smoke detectors have dead batteries.

The point: This was an eye opening experience for me. Since the vast majority of us have wood burners of some sort here, please check and make sure you have the basics working properly, like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, etc. We went as far as to review our escape routes and our meeting place in front of the house. I want everyone to be here after the woodburning season!

You saving the dog is a real good thing to hear. Way to go ,rep sent. Hey you guys rep the hell out of him ok.

I'm on the local fire dept. in our small town. Every year we do fire prevention week the first week of Oct. at the grade schools. I use that week as a reminder for me to check batteries and go over the escape routes with the family. Good for you to help the folks out.

Thank you for the reminder. Certainly doesn't cross my mind nearly as often as it should. One great thing about having a child is I know that I have every type of battery known to mankind! I'm sure there are a couple of new 9v in the battery drawer.

I do have a question. Since we no longer use any type of gas or heating fuel due to the OWB, is a carbon monoxide detector still needed?

Gixx,

If you have a Gas oven, dryer, or water heater, a CO detector is still needed.
Any sort of combustion.

It's also a good idea as an augment to the smoke detectors.
Lots of times, electrical initated fires burn inside walls with very little smoke released into the dwelling, but enough CO escapes to set off the detectors, buying time. There have been a couple times one of our local FD's responded to CO alarms and have found a hot wall.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wow! A great story with some great points.

Smoke detectors and CO detectors (properly maintained) are a great asset to every home..especially for those of us that burn wood. A check with your local fire dept. will provide guidance for proper number and location to keep you current with your local fire/building codes.

For those of us that live in rural locations, 18 minute response times for the local fire dept. are a simple fact of life. It doesn't mean that they don't do a good job..in fact they are usually highly-motivated, well-trained, and properly equipped. It's just that it takes time to transmit the alarm, have all the guys respond to the firehouse, and then drive the trucks to the fire.

Because of this, I take some extra precautions, I keep a 2.5 gal water extinguisher hanging on the wall at the top of my cellar stairs, I also have a 20 lb. ABC extinguisher at the back door of my garage, and I am anal about keeping my chimney clean. I also make my wife mental by blowing out all those decorative Yankee candles in rooms that are unoccupied. I figure I have a fighting chance as long as I'm at home.:D If the house is empty then all bets are off.:cry:

Gixx,

If you have a Gas oven, dryer, or water heater, a CO detector is still needed.
Any sort of combustion.

It's also a good idea as an augment to the smoke detectors.
Lots of times, electrical initated fires burn inside walls with very little smoke released into the dwelling, but enough CO escapes to set off the detectors, buying time. There have been a couple times one of our local FD's responded to CO alarms and have found a hot wall.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the response Dingeryote. In the past I haven't really worried about it, but now that I have a 13 month old things have changed a little. Luckily the only combustion is with the water heater for about 3-4 months out of the year. I hate the way my propane company has treated me so much that I have done everything in my power to not burn any at all. Unfortunately, my water heater is relatively new so I haven't "bit the bullet" by replacing it with an electric unit yet. It typically just acts as storage for the already heated water from the DHW HX.

After thinking about it, a carbon monoxide detector would be a good idea because my furnace hasn't run on propane in years, but I still count on it for back-up, just in case. It seems that's when you have problems, i.e. cracked heat exchangers, dirty combustion, etc. I have always felt O.K. when I leave for a few days, even if my wife lets the OWB run out because there is back-up. If the back-up isn't working properly, there could be a carbon monoxide problem.

Thanks again.

Good advice... one of the first things I did when installing the wood stove was get a CO detector, and some new smoke detectors. Discovered the old hard-wired detector didn't work anymore (refused to sound when hitting 'test').

And to the OP... I've had a similar situation a few years ago. Coming home from the bar with a buddy of mine, we round the bend on the highway and see a barn on fire (eery glow in the sky on a dark country road = we sped up!). Barn is ~100ft from the house. We bang on the door, and I finally open it up and walk in (guess who keeps their door unlocked!), wake up the people in the house, then I go running to the neighbour's place to get them up... since the wind is carrying flaming debris towards their place. I find them standing halfway up their driveway, watching the fire.

"We tried to call over, but no one answered, so we assumed they weren't home."

I almost punched the guy.

Found out a year later that the farm belonged to family of I girl I knew... and they had no idea who had stopped that night to help them. After the FD showed up, my buddy and I just sort of got out of the way and left.

Very good thing you did...but also very risky. Personally, I would never go into a burning building for a dog. Our community lost a heck of a good guy to a house fire a few years ago. Him and his wife made it out and he then went back in for their dog and didnt make it back out. They found him 10 ft from the door on his way back out...the dog made it. Not worth it in my opinion. But glad you were willing and did help.

Latest posts

Back