What are some causes for a bent or twisted connecting rod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lone Wolf, look at the center of the first photo he just posted. That isn't a bushing sticking out of the wrist pin bore.

Well that is pretty obvious ! Looks like the top of the con rod pushing on it ,or the replacement piston is made way out of spec and pushed over, Op you decide which of the two, you know the history of the saw better. How old is the saw what is the sequence of failures from the get go? And that groove in the skirt IDK? If the rod was bent sideways how would you get the notch in the center of the skirt? It sure as hell ain't bad gas or the whole piston would be scored!

Sounds like the saw was new enough to be under warranty. However, if it is a "bad gas" problem there is no good fairy fix for that. Only the last operator knows until the mechanic takes a poke at the fuel. Since you dismantled the saw and put other parts in that, I'd be hard pressed to think we could honor any warranty as I'm sure it voided it.
As to what would happen to bend the crank after running fine with moderate use for 3 months? I'll check withour mechanic. Remember if you have a saw under warranty and you know you didn't mess up your mix or grab old or water comprised gas, the warranty should be honored. We keep the SN on every saw. If your local dealer balks, simply call us during regular business hours and we can take care of you.

Good thing it wasn't a snake or we would both be dead!

Yes, the slot in the skirt throws me too.
Juttree, can you measure the thickness of the boss on each side. Maybe the piston was cast off center. No, that wouldn't explain both pistons having wear. Either the rod is bent, or the cylinder is off center.

Webgal , would you have one of the Bailey's mechanics look at the pictures please. This isn't bad gas.

Juttree, get the best picture you can of the wear on the original piston. Post it, and make a note in the post, that it is the original piston. If the Baileys guy sees it like I do, they should do you right.

Good thing it wasn't a snake or we would both be dead!

Yes, the slot in the skirt throws me too.
Juttree, can you measure the thickness of the boss on each side. Maybe the piston was cast off center. No, that wouldn't explain both pistons having wear. Either the rod is bent, or the cylinder is off center.
Something like that yup.

[qte="webgal, post: 4759881, member: 36025"]Sounds like the saw was new enough to be under warranty. However, if it is a "bad gas" problem there is no good fairy fix for that. Only the last operator knows until the mechanic takes a poke at the fuel. Since you dismantled the saw and put other parts in that, I'd be hard pressed to think we could honor any warranty as I'm sure it voided it.
As to what would happen to bend the crank after running fine with moderate use for 3 months? I'll check withour mechanic. Remember if you have a saw under warranty and you know you didn't mess up your mix or grab old or water comprised gas, the warranty should be honored. We keep the SN on every saw. If your local dealer balks, simply call us during regular business hours and we can take care of you.[/quote]
I really appreciate you taking the time to even reply here. I wasn't in any way saying Bailey's did anything wrong. I've ordered from Bailey's a few times and always had a good experience. I know we probably screwed the pooch by taking it apart but this was also after a dealer told my friend bad gas was the cause. If there is anything you MIGHT be able to do, my friend would be over the moon type happy cause he doesn't have a lot of money. Honestly though I wouldn't hold it against you if you couldn't.
Thanks for your time.

ote="lone wolf, post: 4759747, member: 41388"]I have an 044 and a 440 in pieces right now, I need pistons.[/quote]
Meteor Pistons but use the stock Stihl Circlips on piston pin the ones that come with them are weak.[/quote]
I'll get the pistons eventually, I put a meteor piston in one of my 200t's and its been working great. I have too many projects going on right now (360's, 200t's, 044, 440, 460, 046, the 372, and 575). And those are just the ones either on or next to the bench. I should post a pic of the back room in the shop, (4) 660/066's, (1)650, (5) 441's, (4 or 5) 460/046's, (4 or 5) 372's, (4) 394's, I can probably go on and on but I'll shut up. I pretty much just started repairing these saws.

Ok, this is what I heard back from our in house mechanic:
The only thing that would bend a rod is a sudden stop of the piston while running at full rpm. The saw may have ingested something(screw from the carb or a piece of the muffler?). Usually the piston breaks up into pieces before the rod bends.
------
I did ask him about the fix and whether we could do something, he said:

"Have him send it to us to look at."

I hope that helps. Anytime you buy something from Bailey's and it has a warranty, don't write it off or fix it yourself. Just give us a phone call if you don't get satisfaction from your local dealer.
Best to your bud. Caprice

... The saw may have ingested something...

..."Have him send it to us to look at."...

.... Anytime you buy something from Bailey's (or ANYBODY-my Edit) and it has a warranty, don't write it off or fix it yourself. Just give us a phone call....

This is a great response from WebGal! You have gone WAY beyond for your buddy (used your card, letting him make payments, trying to fix his saw....). May be time to cut this one loose...

Ok, this is what I heard back from our in house mechanic:
The only thing that would bend a rod is a sudden stop of the piston while running at full rpm. The saw may have ingested something(screw from the carb or a piece of the muffler?). Usually the piston breaks up into pieces before the rod bends.
------
I did ask him about the fix and whether we could do something, he said:

"Have him send it to us to look at."

I hope that helps. Anytime you buy something from Bailey's and it has a warranty, don't write it off or fix it yourself. Just give us a phone call if you don't get satisfaction from your local dealer.
Webgal thank you very much for your time, I know this was something that you did not have to do.
I will send the saw to be looked at and if nothing else, we'll have learned something. I just have one more question and I hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the neck. Could you please send me the correct address to mail it to so I don't send it to the wrong place. Sorry to ask for more.

Thank you again,
Justin Cervero

P.S. I just got off my lazy but and got the address 1222

The top of the piston has marks that indicate a piece of some thing went through to motor ! Now you need to find where it came from. How is the lower con rod bearing is there any up and down play?
Believe it or not lone wolf there's no up and down play, there's a bit of rock which actually seems to be more on one side than the other.

[qote="lone wolf, post: 4762532, member: 41388"]Metal got in some where.[/quote]
I dont know if you can see it in the pictures but one of the G clips is still in it without the ear. Don't know if that could have anything to do with it but one side was missing the ear or tab (whatever its called) when the cylinder first came off.

Latest posts

Back