What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now, THAT is furniture....spindly little stuff that destroys itself the first time one of the rugrats tumbles by...nah.

Very pretty.

Last edited:
Very Cool!:clap:

What finish did you use to get that antique look?

Nice... yeah I too am curious what finish you put on it. Did you start with an oil to darken things up? Also, curious how many bd ft of cherry are in a table like that. Just saw in my latest issue of Woodshop News, that cherry prices remain high. $5.50 to $6 a ft for FAS here in east, and closer to $7 on the west coast.

Nice... yeah I too am curious what finish you put on it. Did you start with an oil to darken things up? Also, curious how many bd ft of cherry are in a table like that. Just saw in my latest issue of Woodshop News, that cherry prices remain high. $5.50 to $6 a ft for FAS here in east, and closer to $7 on the west coast.

Thanks all. The stain is a custom mix of my own, just 2 different Zar stains, mixed in a certain "secret" proportion. It's pretty close to the color real antique cherry gets after 100 years or so. The clear is 4 coats of ml campbell catalized laquer. Sanded with 320 between coats. Its a nice dull sheen, that will last for 25 years or more if taken care of. In other words, this table will have this look for years!

I haven't figured out the board footage. It's really not much more than a conventional table. By the time leg stock is glued , lack of the 2 long aprons etc I use around the same # of boards on these tables as on my regular farm tables.

Yeah, cherry prices are down right scary around here. These boards cost me a tank or 2 of gas mix and a little time. Still got a lot of that tree left.

The top is a full 1 1/4 thick on this. It just makes it look right, and the table stand alone in the crowd.

Woodshop news, got your own publication....lol:spam:

mixed in a certain "secret" proportion.

didn't measure, eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

I scored a nice big cherry branch the other day..10" or with not a lot of taper..if it ever dries up around here I'll go fetch it..

didn't measure, eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

I scored a nice big cherry branch the other day..10" or with not a lot of taper..if it ever dries up around here I'll go fetch it..

lol, nah, its measured. I've been making this color for around 10 years.

Great table and finish Stony. Most "antiqued" stuff looks too fake for my liking but this one looks just right.

before going to work for myself I worked for a # of years at an antique repair refinish shop. I got a lot of practice working on fake antiques and making them look like the real thing. If the antique dealer is paying, and the boss says do it, I did it. Wotrked out to my advantage tho

I was speeking of the height of the sides primarily, the fact that its a rocker adds a little to my concern, of the baby tipping out, not the crib tipping over,

I just saw these comments. The rockers are always blocked for safety. I didn't know what would be safe dimensions so I just matched a popular commercial cradle. Cradles are for little babies--crawlers get cribs. :)

J. D.

What's I win? one o them hoooooge redgums+airmail postage?:jawdrop: :givebeer:

I am one of the crappiest guitar players in the world....can put a nice flamejob on 'em tho'...

What's I win? one o them hoooooge redgums+airmail postage?:jawdrop: :givebeer:

I'll send you a dream that you milled one of those. . . watch out for it over the next couple of nights

I am one of the crappiest guitar players in the world....can put a nice flamejob on 'em tho'...

Crappy playing - yeah Me too, flamejobs - maybe with a cigarette lighter!

Cheers

here is a pot rack I made out of some left overs from some white oak wagon runners I milled. My wife wanted one and I couldn't see spending 100.00 on a cheap metal one. I bought the pot rack hooks for 25.00, the stock pannel for 18.00, oak free.

pots.jpg

The good news is that it is 4 ft x 6 ft, so I should not ever have to build another one because there is plenty of room.:clap:

The only thing I would have done different is put the dado blade on the table saw from the start instead of messing with the router and breaking two bits:cry:

Here are a cpl pics of a 24' x36' 2 story barn framed ( and to be sided) with lumber off my LM 2000 EPA

DSCN0596.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

Latest posts

Back