What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any more pictures of that? Looks great, I always enjoy a nice timberframe.
While I don't care for the term cabin, since it refers to derogatory historical references, I know many people call houses/homes a cabin if they are rustic.

My friend built this saloon last year which has a timber floor. He sold it cheap, around $10k-$12k with the siding. I notice your milling your siding at 1.25", seems a bit thick to me. I plan to use board/batten on some of my inside walls, but will do 5/8" thick for that, so it's easier to work with. Since you will need some type of insulation in the wall, you could probably get away with thinner stock also, but would be a lot of waste using a chainsaw mill.

Anyway, your project reminded me of this saloon...(and yes, he did mill this timber:)

100% white pine, BW! ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have any more pictures of that? Looks great, I always enjoy a nice timberframe.
There are a couple more pics, but they don't show anything more...this was built by my mentor/friend, Tim Bullock. He built it on spec while the times are slow, and had it a while, but finally sold it. It was designed to be a backyard saloon where someone could keep their Harley inside.

Tim Bullock is very creative, and knocks out small timber frames like this quickly. It even has a timber frame sub floor.

Here's another similar one, with a cool belly ladder and a loft!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

very impressive alan. i wish that fella lived near me!

how's your build coming along?
Moving along slowly...but making some progress. I've got one more log before the top plates. Unfortunately the last two 32 foot logs are twisted pretty bad...:( I haven't been to the yard for a few weeks, had to take my son back down to L.A. for his 3rd year at UCLA. That took a whole weekend last week.

These 28 footers are in pretty good shape, they will be the top plates on the 28 foot sides.

attachment.php

This is the better of the last 32 footers I have, it's going up on the stack. After it is put up, it will match the one on the top right side of the above photo, then the 28 foot top plates will go on, and get the top flattened on the sawmill, and the last 32 footer will be split into 2 half logs and used for the adjoining top plates.

Looking forward to getting the logs cleaned up, they're filthy...:(

attachment.php

Rockler

What kind of hinges did you put on that chest. I built some benches in the kitchen and need some decent hinges to attach the tops.

The hinges are from Rockler (torsion hinges), they are modeled after laptop computer hinges. Rockler has a formula their website based on weight and length of top for how many and what size you need. They run about $20 a piece.

A little more progress on the barn.

Wind bracing and girts. That's what takes all the time.
barn1_oct21_11.jpg

Then the siding goes pretty fast.
barn2_oct21_11.jpg

One more wall of siding remaining, then the outside will be done. Still lots of bracing to do on the inside, though. I've got about $2500 into it.

A little more progress on the barn.

Wind bracing and girts. That's what takes all the time.
barn1_oct21_11.jpg

Then the siding goes pretty fast.
barn2_oct21_11.jpg

One more wall of siding remaining, then the outside will be done. Still lots of bracing to do on the inside, though. I've got about $2500 into it.

Mtngun,

That is a nice looking barn. Looks like you'll be able to store plenty of stuff up top as well. Makes the small poll shed I built this year look sick.
jerry-

I give away some of my scrap pieces to a neighbor that turns wood. A few months ago I gave him a Burl I cut from a tree. Not that it is really milled wood it's still pretty cool. He dropped this little bowl off today for me.

Siding complete.

Still have to make the main entrance door, and I'm out of materials, so it may not get done this year. Still needs lots of wind bracing on the inside, still needs a stair to the loft, and I need to build shelves, racks, etc., to get it organized, so it'll drag on for perhaps another year.
attachment.php

Some walls have plywood behind them, but the ones that do not, we used black felt behind the 1/2" boards. They will shrink and I didn't want to see through the walls, or see insulation, or give bugs a place to hide. Very rustic!!!!

Great work!!
Congratulations.

Siding complete.

Still have to make the main entrance door, and I'm out of materials, so it may not get done this year. Still needs lots of wind bracing on the inside, still needs a stair to the loft, and I need to build shelves, racks, etc., to get it organized, so it'll drag on for perhaps another year.
attachment.php

Siding complete.

attachment.php

Ok Dan a year from now when you are done your barn, pack up your gear, I would luv to have a barn like that.

Latest posts

Back