What are you making with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the house next door as a flipping job so my wood milling projects have been on hold for the past year. The wife did want me to make a simple bench for the mudroom and she wanted live edge shelving in the bathroom corner. Still just small things

Attachments

• 20230519_204930.jpg
    20230519_204930.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230519_205107.jpg
    20230519_205107.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230618_093651.jpg
    20230618_093651.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I bought the house next door as a flipping job so my wood milling projects have been on hold for the past year. The wife did want me to make a simple bench for the mudroom and she wanted live edge shelving in the bathroom corner. Still just small things
...and I'll wager that all the bench joints are mortised?

Lot's of really nice stuff there guys. I never knew Unc was so talented. The past couple weeks I started going through stacks of slabs I stickered 10 plus years ago. My niece was getting married and wanted a table with a light colored wood that she could have her guests sign, instead of a book. I picked up a Singer Sewing Machine base and I planned on using a piece of Fir for the top. Covid came along and her wedding got postponed, so the table went on the back shelf. New wedding date, got the base cleaned and painted, wedding got postponed again. They gave up and went to the justice of the piece. Couple weeks ago I got motivated and got to work on it. Started with 60 grit on my orbital, 220, 330, and finished with 1000 grit hand sanded on a pad. 10 coats of finish. That 1000 grit made the wood feel like silk. Every time I walk buy it I have to stop and pet it.
Test run with a piece of Dawn Redwood.
A7Cadti.jpg

Final piece of Fir.
CXQRHp0.jpg

In the end she wanted a slightly smaller plant stand than the original table. This is how it came out.
dT6v7r5.jpg

The ribbon figure is stunning. Any idea what caused it?
This is what it looked like the day I milled it. I got 5 slabs in the crotch wood, so this might not be the exact piece? Each cut is a little different as you go through the wood. In the four pics above, the second one is full of Fiddleback also. I just slopped some paint thinner on the one piece to bring out the color. You can pour a cup of water on it too. As either liquid dries it goes back to plain dry brown. But, that is what it "can" look like with the proper finish.
NR0vCSI.jpg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

Posts are unknown
Beam and leger board are red oak.
Joists are ash, I think.
Top boards are white oak.
Stair stringers are red oak.
Stair treads are black cherry.
Every bit came from my mill.

Not sure about the railing yet. Probably going to do metal posts and spindles, but the rails will be my wood.

View attachment 1098696

View attachment 1098697

Posts are unknown
Beam and leger board are red oak.
Joists are ash, I think.
Top boards are white oak.
Stair stringers are red oak.
Stair treads are black cherry.
Every bit came from my mill.

Not sure about the railing yet. Probably going to do metal posts and spindles, but the rails will be my wood.
Nice. I got to ask, who did you hire to do the work? I've seen the picks over on the Unc's thread and it couldn't be him :laugh: . Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I cringe at seeing all that beautiful furniture grade lumber being used in that manner. Especially since it's longevity is questionable. Do you sell lumber from your mill? I know this lumber feas "free", buy sell the Cherry, Oak, etc and put in PT lumber.

Nice. I got to ask, who did you hire to do the work? I've seen the picks over on the Unc's thread and it couldn't be him :laugh: . Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I cringe at seeing all that beautiful furniture grade lumber being used in that manner. Especially since it's longevity is questionable. Do you sell lumber from your mill? I know this lumber feas "free", buy sell the Cherry, Oak, etc and put in PT lumber.

White oak should last quite a while. Cherry is also quite durable, so that’s what I used for the top boards.

The red oak is not so durable, but it’s plentiful.
In a sense, this is all a bit experimental. I’m very interested to see how it holds up over the years.

Needed a privacy fence here. Going to put more racking up for lumber drying and don’t want to annoy the neighbors who might not like the beautiful sight of stacked lumber.

Metal posts in the ground. 1/2 are pounded in, no concrete. The other half were already there with chain link on them. I removed the link, added an extension on top, and fastened oak rails to the posts.
The face boards are all Catalpa, a good weather-resistant wood.

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1050.jpeg

Latest posts

Back