What are you making with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thread to stumble upon. Some great creations in here! I've made a couple of kid's bed frames and headboards. I like the not-perfect look. We've had them for a few years and no issues yet. I've also made a few platter boards for friends. It's funny how on-trend these kinds of things are!

This is a good thread.

Practical projects we do include crates for firewood.
20230728_072219-firewood-crates.jpg20230515_123051-firewood-seasoning.jpg

Fun projects include some scrollsaw work:
20230605_100442-nswoodmapflag-36and12inch.jpg

And short pieces get made into other stuff. Both the plant stand pictured here on the table and the herringbone topped table are both scrap wood projects.

20230709_152447-small-wood-and-iron-table.jpg

This is a good thread.

And short pieces get made into other stuff. Both the plant stand pictured here on the table and the herringbone topped table are both scrap wood projects.

View attachment 1101978
Love the plant stand - great idea. I got my wife a bunch of terra cotta pots cheap and she's been replicating a lot her plants from cuttings and looking for more places to put them. I have a variety of short 10/4 slabs of red oak I can't think of much to do with and that kind of thing is perfect. I bend most of my own steel flat bar legs so would be easy to knock some out like that. I also got a bunch of heavy cast iron frames at the metal recycling yard I haven't found a lot of uses for, they weigh 33-35 lbs apiece so not a practical pair of legs for any of my pieces for sale but good for some house projects. I built this printer stand out of hackberry with one pair. That plant stand gives me the idea of instead of using a single slab bookended in the frames, use 2 or 3 longer pieces 2.5 x 5 or 2.5 x8 with a space between them. And maybe another set at the bottom. Have SO many short blocks and slabs to make use of, and get too stuck in my single slab thinking sometimes rather than using multiple pieces to make up something.

hackberryprintertable1.jpeghackberryprintertable2.jpeg

Just did these yesterday. Need to learn to cut shapes more smoothly with my bandsaw, I'm kinda inept with it so go back to my jigsaw which is painfully slow in extreme hardwoods like mesquite. I have a router circle template on the way to work on cutting perfect circles with the router to make life easier. Cleaned out the crack and did a clear epoxy inlay on the 13" board.

Attachments

• circlemesquitehandle8inch.jpeg
    circlemesquitehandle8inch.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • circlemesquitehandle139inch.jpeg
    circlemesquitehandle139inch.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
Love the plant stand - great idea. I got my wife a bunch of terra cotta pots cheap and she's been replicating a lot her plants from cuttings and looking for more places to put them. I have a variety of short 10/4 slabs of red oak I can't think of much to do with and that kind of thing is perfect. I bend most of my own steel flat bar legs so would be easy to knock some out like that. I also got a bunch of heavy cast iron frames at the metal recycling yard I haven't found a lot of uses for, they weigh 33-35 lbs apiece so not a practical pair of legs for any of my pieces for sale but good for some house projects. I built this printer stand out of hackberry with one pair. That plant stand gives me the idea of instead of using a single slab bookended in the frames, use 2 or 3 longer pieces 2.5 x 5 or 2.5 x8 with a space between them. And maybe another set at the bottom. Have SO many short blocks and slabs to make use of, and get too stuck in my single slab thinking sometimes rather than using multiple pieces to make up something.

View attachment 1102337View attachment 1102336
Nicely done.
We married to the same woman? :) I used some flat stock and bent it on a vice.

Nicely done.
We married to the same woman? :) I used some flat stock and bent it on a vice.
Lol about the wives. Is that only 1/8" or 3/16" flat stock? I mostly use 1/4" for all my larger legs, and use a shop press bender. I didn't realize the bender kit/dies I bought for my shop press was designed for 1/8" at best so had to remake it into something that could bend 1/4 or 5/16" properly. I kept haplessly trying to force a bend in a vee die only meant for an 1/8" or sheet metal, bending my cheap shop press frame in the process. I kept rebuilding the press til I had built an indestructibly strong 20 ton press from scratch out of heavy rectangular tubing and 5/8" steel flat bar from the steel recycling yard. Only then did I finally learn my die was the whole problem, 1/4" doesn't take that much pressure to bend if you're not trying to force it into a ridiculously hard 90. The press bender setup is still limited in what I can do because longer narrower legs run into the press frame when I bend them. Had been looking for a cheap used Hossfeld bender for a long time but it's way more capability than I need. This is the best thing I've found for handling at least up to 3 x 1/4 and being able to easily replicate any angle you want, but pricier than I want to pay for it. The cheaper blue $200 versions by other manufacturers all seem to be junk quality from reviews. https://www.kakaindustrial.com/prod...MI6KvdrZDGgAMVnTStBh1yIQBZEAQYASABEgIN5fD_BwE

Can't offer any advice on if you were asking. I don't work with metal often so I tend to stick to projects that I can form by hand or beat into shape with a hammer and vise. I suppose the lower price point is ok for occasional use but if you are bending regularly, might as well put the money into something that can get the job done and save you time.

Can't offer any advice on if you were asking. I don't work with metal often so I tend to stick to projects that I can form by hand or beat into shape with a hammer and vise. I suppose the lower price point is ok for occasional use but if you are bending regularly, might as well put the money into something that can get the job done and save you time.
Not so much asking as comparing notes. I bend a little too much to hammer mine out in a vise, but not quite enough to invest too much money in it. Always curious how others do it. A lot of fabrication shops working with 1/8 to 1/4 use these little bench mounted benders I think. On the bucket list. Curiously if I buy from the company in Canada and have it shipped to Texas, it's at least $100 cheaper than buying from them in the US. I bought a Makita 1230 carbide tipped blade metal cutting saw a couple years ago that's one of the best small metal shop tools ever invented. Fastest cleanest metal cutting I've ever done. So if I get a fast and easy bender, about the most time anything will take for making flat bar legs is drilling the holes. One too many distractions lol, have enough on my plate just keeping up with all my woodworking and milling gear.

made this table once the timber dried out over 3 years. here is a few pics from the process.

no need to cretic the video. rakers are too low.😜

Attachments

• IMG_6037.jpeg
    IMG_6037.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6039.jpeg
    IMG_6039.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6045.jpeg
    IMG_6045.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4152.jpeg