What brand of 2 stroke oil are you using ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of 2 stroke oil are you using ?

• Echo Red Armour

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Stihl premium 2-stroke oil

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Motomaster 2 stroke oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Power blend 2 stroke oil

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Trufuel 50:1

• Trufuel 40:1

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Stihl motomix

• Other

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AMS oil Sabre at 50:1, Dolmar 50:1, or anything synthetic with a reputable brand. Maybe I'm throwing money away... Idk.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
I don't think you're throwing your money away. Pull the muffler and shine a light in the exhaust port as you slowly pull the starting cord. Now look closely at your spark arrestor. Polished piston and no carbon I presume. Keep doing just so.

Amsoil was the first synthetic way back in 72’ way before this Stihl ultra and red armor crap hit the market as well as way before Mobil 1 . When you tear down as many saws as we do a year in our shop you see the differences in oil used in commercial equipment that gets beat on for a living vs the hobbiest home firewood warrior
Mixed 50-1 of coarse

Using some cheap outboard oil mixed at 24:1 in a chinese saw at the moment i guess i will see how long it goes with it.
Let us all know how long it goes. I've probably learned more from mistakes, mine and others. By the way, what maximum rpms do outboard marine engines run at?

Been using the stihl oil. Been happy with it. Have Husky 61 and Stihl MS170. I bought the little 6 pack one and then I refill them out of a big jug because they are so handy.

Husqvarna did research on this in the 70's using a dyno synthetic oil 50:1 vs 24:1 the piston and connecting rod bearings exhibited less wear than 50:1 but they crank bearings wore just the same. Gordon Jennings sae experiment with benol and a suzuki pe 250 validated what husky reported more oil = less wear and more oil made more power due to better ring seal 50:1 was down 7% power compared to 32:1, 32:1 was down 3% power to 18:1
I'm old enough to remember having read Gordon Jennings's article IIRC the only downside to lots of oil was plug fouling. As you noted, power went up and wear down, as the increased oil ratios were tested.

Honda hp2 at 40:1 with 91 octane with no alcohol, pump and nozzle dedicated to that one tank. I use to buy at another fuel depot and was still getting a lot of alcohol per 5 us gallons. I don't know if their fuel was not correct or the non dedicated pump

Back