What camara do you use to video tape your tree action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Reaction score
I like checking out all the cool videos everyone posts. I was wondering what kinds of cameras you guys use to film the action? Where do you get them?

Gopro cameras are great. You should be able to find them at most outdoor sporting stores. They clip right on to a helmet.

I agree, for the money and flexibility GOPRO makes an excellent camera. They can even be used underwater.

Helmet%252520Cam1.jpg

I just got the Contour Roam in the mail yesterday. I kind of jumped the gun when I bought it because I hadn't researched all the reviews. I actually thought I was buying the older Contour HD camera which has great reviews. There are some poor reviews out there on it due to a sound driver issue they had in their firmware when they first came out. I got mine and applied the firmware update, which it does automatically when you open the software, and the sound is working fine for me now. I liked the price on this camera and the low profile. Plus it's the easiest one to use. All the other cameras you have to turn them on and have them in standby before you can record. This one you can just move the slider forward on top of the camera forward and you are recording even when the camera is turned completely off. Video looks pretty good on it, from what I've seen so far. Sound is adequate. I don't want high definition sound when I am running saws and working in the wind. I like the noise cancelling features on the camera. Time will tell how well I like it. I'll test it out this coming week and post a more in depth review back here.

Almost forgot, another reason this camera appealed to me is that it is waterproof to one meter right out of the box. No need to buy a separate waterproof case for it. I don't plan on going swimming with mine but it will be nice to not have to worry about it should I get caught in a thunderstorm or work/hunt in wet conditions.

Here is a pretty decent review I found that some guys down in OZ did on the camera. It has some actual action footage in it:

Ultra168 Gear Review of Contour ROAM Video Camera - YouTube

A few years ago I bought a VIO POV1. Bought it used off of Craigslist.

Nice camera. Small (about the size of a lipstick). Recorder is separate, runs via a cable.

When I'm doing tree work, it goes into a "chalk bag" and hangs off my saddle. When I'm skiing or snowmobiling, I put it in an inside pocket. Usually I'll wrap one of those disposable hand warmer packs around it so the batteries last longer in the cold.

You can control the record feature via a controler that goes on your wrist (like a watch).

My main video cam is a Panasonic HDC-SD9 it's the smallest 3CCD camera you can get as far as I know. Using 3 chips to capture red, blue, and green separately gives far better color saturation and fidelity, though my safety green shirts blows it out in bright sunlight.

medium_pana01.jpg

A few years ago I bought a VIO POV1. Bought it used off of Craigslist.

Nice camera. Small (about the size of a lipstick). Recorder is separate, runs via a cable.

When I'm doing tree work, it goes into a "chalk bag" and hangs off my saddle. When I'm skiing or snowmobiling, I put it in an inside pocket. Usually I'll wrap one of those disposable hand warmer packs around it so the batteries last longer in the cold.

You can control the record feature via a controler that goes on your wrist (like a watch).

Squad143,
Have you found any specific issues or dislikes? Tomorrow is my B'Day and was going to order the VIO POV HD.
Scrat

Almost forgot, another reason this camera appealed to me is that it is waterproof to one meter right out of the box. No need to buy a separate waterproof case for it. I don't plan on going swimming with mine but it will be nice to not have to worry about it should I get caught in a thunderstorm or work/hunt in wet conditions.

Here is a pretty decent review I found that some guys down in OZ did on the camera. It has some actual action footage in it:

Ultra168 Gear Review of Contour ROAM Video Camera - YouTube

I got the same one, wanted to use it today, but it was like a blizzard out! All I would of got was snow!

Squad143,
Have you found any specific issues or dislikes? Tomorrow is my B'Day and was going to order the VIO POV HD.
Scrat

Happy birthday!

The only thing I would like it to have is a light on the wrist controller that would tell you that the unit was recording.

Been real happy with mine. Thought about getting the newer HD.

One nice feature is that you can put it on a kind of stand-by mode. Then if something interesting happens, you hit the wrist button and the thing automatically saves a certain time period before and after you hit the button.

Last edited:
Here is some test footage I took with my Contour Roam this morning in the woods. Just wanted to see what kind of quality the video would be from topside in a tree. Sorry, I was hunting and not working, not even a kill shot but it does give you an idea of what to expect from this camera. I also got some video of a military drone that flew over a couple of times but couldn't see it. Would need a zoom feature to see something like that. Anyway, I'll get some work footage as soon as I have something exciting to do:

Contour | Stories | FILE0025

Back