What can I cut with Echo CS-3400 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matesusa

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

After reseach on this site I'm just about ready to go buy Echo CS-3400 saw (with standard 14" bar length) tomorrow.

I do lawn care and landcaping and need a new saw primary for bush,hedge and smaller tree removing, thinning, pruning and clearing.

90% of time stuff that I get to cut is under 10" in diameter. Therefore I decided for this saw after I finally got fed up with my Homelite earlier this week.

My question is: As this (Echo CS-3400) will be my only saw for a while until I get another bigger saw (propably Stihl MS 260 Pro), what is the biggest diameter that CS-3400 will cut?

For example, next week a customer wants me to get rid of an old, dead fallen tree about 22" thick and 20' long.

Can I tackle something like that once in a while with this saw?

The trunk will need to be cut to 16" long pieces for firewood.

I use chain saw just about couple of times every month.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Martin

the 3400 will cut the muster. but for what u described ,id use my 36 cc saw with rear handle.i use my top handle for climbing only.
poulan pro makes a good little saw the 220 ,husquevarna makes 136 . i believe northern has it for 179. rite now.
or u could get the craftsman equevalent. mine has held up real good.good luck.
ps if u are set on echo they make a 3450, i think would probably cover your needs

The 3400 is a good little saw for smaller limbs and brush, but if you're going to take on 22" stems, your customers will probably want to renegotiate your hourly rate. Beg, borrow, or rent a bigger saw for the day.

The saw is much less important than the operator and his ability to run and sharpen a saw. I've seen guys who couldn't cut a 4X4 with an 046 and others who could make a 24" stump cut with an Echo 3400 (I've made those stump cuts more than once). It all depends on your level of expertise.
;)

Look at the 345(used to be 3450) or 346 in CA, same saw, but with a rear handle. It's just a few bucks more, but is a lot nicer to use.
Top handled saws were created by the saw manufacturers to reduce the size box that they could get an assembled saw into, which saved them on shipping and storage costs. Advertized as a "special" saw just for topping, it caught on.
Those 22" cuts can be done with a 345/346 but will take about 3 or 4 minutes each.

You guys should charge for your advice; this site is excellent!

If I'd get a 3450 with 16" bar instead, would I be able to use it almost the same like 3400 one? One-hand use is a must for me for what I do most of the time.

Also the only difference between 3400 and 3450 is the handle but it seemed like you would do it with 3450 but rather not with 3400... Is that true? Remember, I can only afford one saw right now and almost all the time I cut stuff under 10" thick.
This one 22" tree (actually is more like 20") that I have to cut to short logs next week is an exemption that happens like once every two months. So what should I get, 3400 or 3450?

Martin,
Before you jump on the 3450 instead of the 3400, keep in mind that Mike climbs with a 3450 and does not use top handles. He ALWAYS recommends a rear handle saw to everyone.

They will pull a 16" bar but I prefer a 14" on the two 3400's I own.

alamia.com has 3400 for $235.00 no tax,free shipping.

But since I need a new saw tomorrow seems like local Home Depot is my only option ? Or are there any other stores that carry Echo ?
HD price is $299.00 (w. case,16" chain,oil) plus tax.

I have the 16" bar on my 3450 and I think it is too much. Other than getting a little bit more reach when needed, I think a 12 or 14" are better choices for that saw. Also, the Oregon laminate bars that come with them leave much to be desired.

I paid around $200 new for mine on eBay two years ago.

Ok guys,

sounds like I know where I'm going and what I'm getting tomorrow.
Since cutting that ?amn 20" log will be propably its first job, I'll just have to take it easy before it breaks in...
Eventually I'll get another bigger saw, but for now the little Echo will have to do.
I need saw for hedge trimming and small trees clearing primary; this bigger log is just a paid favor to do for one of my favorite customers.

CS 340 muffler mods

I was looking for an appropriate thread to post this on. I just bought another Echo 340 last month and worked the muffler.

Crappy pic, but you can see the baffle and outer deflector plate in front of the saw. I doubled the size of the 4 holes in the baffle using a standard drill, then filed off the burrs with a saw file. I filed back the deflector flap with a flat file. Then I matched the gasket to the cylinder exhaust port. It was protruding into the port area on two sides.
Took about 30 minutes from start to finish.

I'd go ahead with the HD saw, and then also order the internet saw at the better price, that way you can have a saw for each hand.
Haha! Just screwin with ya, you should never cut with only one hand on the saw, very bad...
Greg

Tony Marks,

You mention that Northern had the 136 at $179. Personally I would like to see everyone utilize their local servicing dealer whenever possible. Last year my father saw me playing around with some of my saws. I was cutting 2 inch brush with a 038. I kept giving him crap about getting a good small brush saw so he could help out. A few nights later my wife and I saw my him at a local box store. He was looking at the Husky's there. I told him to check out the local dealer first. He did at the beginning of the week and walked out with a 136, 6 pack of oil, and possibly a spare chain for $179. It was same same price as the box store. Most local dealers are going to be just as competative on the popular models. Why add dollars to the box store conglomerate while the local guy is the one who will provide you the service and with all saws need service. It does not matter what color they are.

Just my random thoughts

Bill

Latest posts

Back