What causes this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve easy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_20160705_152808.jpg IMG_20160705_152638.jpg
Got this 390 early jan this year, has about 750hrs on it. First husky i have owned, took to dealer he reckoned harmonics?. Wanted to do warranty claim for the cracked exhaust and top cover, the rep said my rakers were to low, kinda pissed me off cause he didnt even look at my chain. How many other 390's do this? and why?. Thanks.

the rep said my rakers were to low, kinda pissed me off cause he didnt even look at my chain.

That's just the first item on the "warranty claim rejection excuses" this month. When you show your rakers are at the recommended height, he'll move onto the next item on the list. If you run the gauntlet and get past all the bulldust excuses, *then* you get your problem repaired under warranty.

That's just the first item on the "warranty claim rejection excuses" this month. When you show your rakers are at the recommended height, he'll move onto the next item on the list. If you run the gauntlet and get past all the bulldust excuses, *then* you get your problem repaired under warranty.
I called it b/s to.

View attachment 511658 View attachment 511657
Wanted to do warranty claim for the cracked exhaust and top cover, the rep said my rakers were to low, kinda pissed me off cause he didnt even look at my chain. How many other 390's do this? and why?. Thanks.
He's full of ****. He really has no interest in trying to warranty anything, that's why he gave you the BS story about the rakers. Who warranties a saw with 750 hrs on it anyways? What year is this saw?

That crack looks like it originated when the muffler was manufactured to me. It might have grown due to harmonics but I don't see how it could have originated from just bolting it on and using the saw. GL with your dealer, better take a pocket full of BS flags when you go back or just buck up and buy an AM muffler and a used good cover.

That comes to @ 32 hours per week, or so...
Saw run time per day = about 5hrs x 25days per month. log price eased this month so im looking forward to some time off. What were you looking for on the flywheel?.
GL with your dealer, better take a pocket full of BS flags when you go back or just buck up and buy an AM muffler and a used good cover.
GL? Who sells an AM muffler, i had already scoped a new cover was like 50 bucks. Muffler from husky must be expensive cause i asked how much?and didnt get an answer.

View attachment 511658 View attachment 511657
Got this 390 early jan this year, has about 750hrs on it. First husky i have owned, took to dealer he reckoned harmonics?. Wanted to do warranty claim for the cracked exhaust and top cover, the rep said my rakers were to low, kinda pissed me off cause he didnt even look at my chain. How many other 390's do this? and why?. Thanks.

GL? Who sells an AM muffler, i had already scoped a new cover was like 50 bucks. Muffler from husky must be expensive cause i asked how much?and didnt get an answer.
GL = Good Luck
Where did you asked how much? You asked about harmonics and I said the crack likely originated from manufacturing. Ebay has mufflers for as little as $6.00(US) from China or you can spend about $60(US) for an OEM one, depends on what type you want. I would continue to run that muffler or repair it with some braze. You can find used filter covers for about $20-30 (US) also but Im not sure if they ship to NZ. That cover shouldn't be a warranty, it looks like wear and tear. GL.

it is vibration from use. i have 3-4 mufflers cracked there and i just run a bead of weld over the crack for a repair. another bad spot is the left support fastener nut sometimes cracks all the way around and ends up not even part of the muffler anymore. i repair those by just welding the support on. those muffler are expensive here so well worth repairing. they are also built alot heavier then the AM mufflers or even the 372 mufflers. the cover i've seen happen too. you will find the missing plastic is actually kinda melted in the slot it would normally slip down in. no idea why, they just do. not all the time and it happens after some serious hours. the muffler was likely ran loose at some point too. that's a high hour saw and way way way out of warranty.

it is vibration from use. i have 3-4 mufflers cracked there and i just run a bead of weld over the crack for a repair. another bad spot is the left support fastener nut sometimes cracks all the way around and ends up not even part of the muffler anymore. i repair those by just welding the support on. those muffler are expensive here so well worth repairing. they are also built alot heavier then the AM mufflers or even the 372 mufflers. the cover i've seen happen too. you will find the missing plastic is actually kinda melted in the slot it would normally slip down in. no idea why, they just do. not all the time and it happens after some serious hours. the muffler was likely ran loose at some point too. that's a high hour saw and way way way out of warranty.

How long is the warranty in NZ?
It is only 6 months old and it won't have a hour counter.

i did not realize he had bought it new in January. guess i shoulda known since he knows the hours. regardless though, the hours can't be proven and if it's within warranty i wouldn't put up with that ****. it's not his fault those issues happened. those issues are from vibration and usually happen after the muffler rusts thin. around here the warranty for a pro user is 3 months i think. not sure about NZ.

He didn't say he bought it new nor did he say he took it to the dealer he purchased it from. We'll have to have him chime in for more details.

Latest posts

Back