what chain shoudl i get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonez10

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im running a 20" bar full comp oregon...
i was thinking lgx
i mostly cut firewood i want a full chisel 3/8 full comp oregon
what would you reccommend?

I use Carlton. Have used tons of Oregon also. What's wrong with what you are using?

I would recommend either Oregon lgx or Stihl 33rsc. I use both on a daily basis and they both hold an edge fine. The Stihl will hold its edge a little longer because of a harder metal used in the tooth. You shouldn't be disappointed with either.

I would recommend either Oregon lgx or Stihl 33rsc. I use both on a daily basis and they both hold an edge fine. The Stihl will hold its edge a little longer because of a harder metal used in the tooth. You shouldn't be disappointed with either.

ya was interested in stihl but it costs a 1/3 more thats why im leaning to oregon

i like the lpx better than the lgx....seems smoother to me. i like the dp too for semi chisel :cheers:

nothin just not to sure what im using
picked the chain up for free
no nothing about it other than its 3/8 full chisel and was brand new

I know Oregon and Stihl chains have the name imprinted in the tie straps. Also if it is Oregon chain, there will be a number imprinted on the drive links (72 for .050, 73 for .058 or 75 for .063). If it is full comp round ground chisel it will be an lgx chain, if its full skip it will be a jgx chain. Sorry I'm not absolutely positive on the Stihl codes other than rsc which is full comp round ground chisel chain.

Hope this helps:cheers:

Cost 1/3 more, but lasts twice as long...:cheers:

Amen brother.I would say more than twice.I know lots of guys use oregon but i cant figure out why.Every loop of oregon I've ever tried seemed to contain more cheese than steel.I have good luck with the bars but the chain, not so much.:buttkick:

Try out the woodland pro chain that Baileys sells. It is reasonable and it lasts a good while. As I have said in the past I would rather use dull, rocked carlton chain on backwards before I would use oregon crap!:chainsaw: Steve

Back