What chain to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapplermi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just rounded out my small stable of saws with a new MS 192 with a 12" bar for limbing, on the ground, and have been reading about people putting different chains on saws for different applications. My other two main saws are a 20" 361, with a bad-a$$ muffler mod by Bowtie, and a stock 28" 385 XP. I really only use them to cut firewood with, which is usually downed already in the woods, and occasionally drop dead trees for neighbors, if it's really safe. I only use the 385 for the trunks. My question is what type chain would be ideal for me, as I hear people talking about skip and others I don't know about. I don't do any plunge cuts, and I'm pretty careful about kickback situations, so the fastest cutting is what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

I'm not so much interested in the combos, or really anything different for the 192, just info on which chain would be best for what I use the bigger saws for. I might look into that 12" deal though. Thanks

I'm not so much interested in the combos, or really anything different for the 192, just info on which chain would be best for what I use the bigger saws for. I might look into that 12" deal though. Thanks

I use stihl rsc on my 192 with a 12" and it eats it up and since i'm usually cutting off the ground I may have to touch it up every couple weeks.

I use stihl rsc on my 192 with a 12" and it eats it up and since i'm usually cutting off the ground I may have to touch it up every couple weeks.

I don't think they make rsc in low profile 3/8. I'm thinking you have to swap sprockets to run the rsc on the 192.

I run Stihl 63PM on my 200T and I love it. For the bigger saws I would recommend Stihl RS or RSC. However, if you want to save a few bucks you could try the woodlandpro 30RC chains from baileys. I've never tried them myself, but many on this site have good things to say about it.

oregon lgx lpx both will cut great at fraction of the price of stihl chain. keep them outa the dirt and sharp and youl be pleased.

Latest posts

Back