what chain type for 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolmike

Reaction score
Hi, Im currently using a 346xp mainly for limbing and cutting small diameter firewood. All the more serious work is left to my 2165. Considering the use im doing of my 346xp what type of shain would you suggest....? im currently using oregon 20LP but the full chisel blade takes time to sharpen. what about other types of chains: 95v narrow kerf, 20BP ect

please include link to manufacturer's product

Mike

Why would LP chain take any longer than any other chain to sharpen? Since you are just limbing with the saw and not getting it near dirt you should only need 1-2 swipes per cutter between tankfuls.

Switch the saw over to 3/8 LGX chain and it will be easier to sharpen and hold an edge longer. 90% of the 346XP owners here run 3/8 chain.

If you 346 is a old edition I would stick with Narrow kerf from baileys. If its a new edition like husky said lgx 3/8

I sell a ton of 20BP chain to "all around" wood cutters. It stays sharper longer because of it mirco-chisel cutter and files nicely. I have never been really impressed with how the 20LP cuts. If you are looking for speed and would like to run a chisel cutter, switch to 3/8 chain, but for a 346, .325 mirco-chisel chain is a good choice.

3/8

I dunno... I've heard the 346 with 3/8 is a bit doggy??? Anybody else here that as well???

:popcorn:

I prefer 21BP and 21LP on my 346xpg, Stihl RS .325 is the best choice if you want to run chisel though but I find it a bit hard to get hold of around my part of world (the center of world that is :p ) ,,,,,,
I know allot of people like 95vp but i think my 346 work better with the others I mentioned ,,,,
I run 13"-18" bars on my 346xpg.

If you 346 is a old edition I would stick with Narrow kerf from baileys. If its a new edition like husky said lgx 3/8

I tend to agree, but nothing really wrong with the 20/21LP......

Try with an 8-pin if it is the NE 50cc version, but 3/8"x7 probably is better.

Don't even consider NK chains on the NE346xp - it will not do the saw justice!

Last edited:
My 026s do not have a problem running a 16" 3/8 full chisel. You might want to try semi chisel 3/8, it doesn't cut as fast but stays sharper longer in dirty wood.

I will concur that my impression on the 95vp is not that great. It worked fine with green wood but since then, most of my wood cutting is firewood and mostly dead, it didn't seem to do as well on that.

I am going to have to try it (346xp ne) with some 72 LPX. We will see if it will handle the 3/8" chisel chain.

Don

Sorry for kinda steeling this thread! Has anyone tried the skip woodsman pro chain? I tried a loop on the 20'' bar that came with my Poulan and it worked great, on my soft woods I cut. It was a bit more jumpy on small limbs but worked fine on anything 10'' and up. I normally run a 15'' bar on that saw and a 16 on my Solo. I am going to give it a try with the 15''/16'' bars.
Now those saw's are not close to the 346 (45cc) older one but has me thinking put a 18'' or 20'' bar with the skip chain on a 346 it will help keep the rpm up so it's happy. Might be something for those that own a 346 to think about?
Ooops I should mention you would need a reg bar not a narrow kerf one.

Last edited:
whats a good setup for dead oak? its pretty dirty too

mine is an old edition 346xp im runnin a 20" with vp95 it would be nice to have somethin a bit quicker for that

whats a good setup for dead oak? its pretty dirty too

mine is an old edition 346xp im runnin a 20" with vp95 it would be nice to have somethin a bit quicker for that

I hardly believe you can do much better with a 20" bar on that saw - 20" really is too much....

Back