What computer software do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiHD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been slowly switching all my customer information on to the computer and was wondering what, if any software are the rest of you using. I'm hoping to find a tree service specific software if posible.

Thanks,

Harry

Well , your close, it's called an S-Corporation, with a gang of rules & regs., set forth by IRS. Yes , we have an accounting firm, that files & maintains all Corporate records. The corporation is duly filed with the Secretary of State in Ga. , also rated by Dunn & Bradstreet.I receive a paycheck from the corporation, monthly. All payroll Taxes are filed quarterly by the accounting firm. Our Corporate Fed. & State Tax Returns, the same. The Corporation carries Liability & Workers Comp. Coverages. The only shade I see, is when I'm sitting under the tree, in the backyard, drinking a:cheers: :clap: Good Luck in your endeavors.

SOFTWARE: Like Quickens- Pro, Quick-Books Pro, Arborgold , Spreasheets & Tree Care Industry Magazine is a free subscription to Businesses, just go on line or call. They have a host of software advertisements, relative to arborcare.

I'm now officially lost!!

Well , your close, it's called an S-Corporation, with a gang of rules & regs., set forth by IRS. Yes , we have an accounting firm, that files & maintains all Corporate records. The corporation is duly filed with the Secretary of State in Ga. , also rated by Dunn & Bradstreet.I receive a paycheck from the corporation, monthly. All payroll Taxes are filed quarterly by the accounting firm. Our Corporate Fed. & State Tax Returns, the same. The Corporation carries Liability & Workers Comp. Coverages. The only shade I see, is when I'm sitting under the tree, in the backyard, drinking a:cheers: :clap: Good Luck in your endeavors.

Don't mean to be rude or to offend you but are you drinking as you post on here? You have completely lost me!!

I'm asking about software and you're talking govt conspiricies!!

Paranoia will destroy ya my friend. Nothing wrong with keeping organized records of customers and past work, and computers only make that easier. If you are that paranoid then get a seperate computer and never hook it up to the internet!

Take care. :cheers:

SOFTWARE: Like Quickens- Pro, Quick-Books Pro, Arborgold , Spreasheets & Tree Care Industry Magazine is a free subscription to Businesses, just go on line or call. They have a host of software advertisements, relative to arborcare.

Now this is helpful...Thank-you.

Quickbooks (If you have no payroll), Quickbooks Pro (If you also have Payroll).

There are other softwares that might be more tree-care specific but, I started using quickbooks before it became mainstream (back in the early '90s) and have found it to do everything I have needed it to do including estimates, invoicing, inventory tracking, payroll, banking, etc.

The only thing I still use an accountant for is year-end taxes and fixed asset depreciation. While Quickbooks can do those things, I find it much easier to let my accountant take care of that part. For every other day-to-day accounting task, Quickbooks works fine.

The only learning curve for those without much or any accounting background is setting up your chart of accounts and learning how to do journal entries, etc. If you're pretty green in that area, I'd suggest finding an accountant who is proficient in Quickbooks and paying them to set up your accoounts for you - WHILE YOU LOOK OVER HIS/HER SHOULDER so you can learn how to do it yourself.

Most accountants now use quickbooks and should be proficient with it. Unlike when I started with QB in the 90s and ended up training most of the local accountants at my time and expense...

Last edited:
Software questions

I have been using Quickbooks Pro for the last 5 years. I am researching industry specific software for the upcoming winter. The reason I have stayed with QBpro for this long is the easy of use. I have been able to customize the Proposal and Invoice forms to suit my needs. QB will take some time to learn and figure out some work around to suit your needs. One of the major problems that I have is the "general" nature of the software.

In 2003-2004 winter months I invested close to $6000 in an up-and-coming Green Industry software by the name of Arborscape. The experience quickly went south and I am the proud owner of defunct industry specific software. I am very leery to jump back into my search and have been able to work with QBpro to manage my company. The cost of upgrading is irrelevant as long as the software will improve my productivity.

If anyone has success with industry specific software please post a reply or send me an email.

I use Simply Accounting. I find it is hard to get into software designed specifically for the industry when you don't live in the US. There is a BIG company here which uses ArborGold....you can look it up online. Costs lots to purchase but I bet it would make life easier.

Quickbooks takes more time to set up than I thought.

It is really great but still requires someone to put in the $ amounts in the right places. Customer addresses etc. I think I need more specific accounts for cost analysis and job tracking. Once it is setup I love it but if I realized how long it would take to setup and learn I probably would not have done it......not because I shouldn't but because I wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back