what do you all think of the Stihl MS381

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokenut

One nut loose
Reaction score
Im looking at buying this saw in a few months for fire wooding
and just wanting to know what you all think about this saw

thank in advance :smile2:

thank you
I'll be getting from my stihl dealer top blokes in there

Have a chat to your stihl dealer because stihl has a cash back offer on certain models at the moment. You might be able to get a more expensive model for the same money.

that is true took me over a year to save what I got
and need the saw for cutting this spring summer
I would grab one if I could
Ill look into the cash back thing and see if I can up grade to the ms441
but the ms381 is in my price range and sound like it will do the job
the weight is not a problem ether

thanks for the reply's :biggrin:

It's the old 038 Magnum with flippy caps. It's a fantastic old saw with a tremendous reputation. It doesn't turn the RPMs of the most modern saws, but is still a very respectable model.

Would the 381 be a strato saw like the 441, 201, 261, etc.... I thought the 1 designated it being a strato (at least here in the USA)

MS381 is a non strato saw and a very reputable. It is pretty much an updated 038 mag which was a very reputable saw for a long time imo. I still love the sound of those 038 mags/ms380s/ms381s.

If the 381 is an updated 038MAG I think I would take it over the 441.Specially if the 441 cost much more.The 038mag is a top notch saw, despite what the Sawtroll says.I have a 28" bar on mine and cut pretty much all hickory and pecan with it.2 of North Americas hardest species.The 381 is a Stihl that will!

great saw!

Hi there,
I've had one of these for about 3 years now, and it's never let me down. I cut a lot of wood for heating (heating, double wood stove in the kitchen for the really cold days, and wood fired oven in the back yard!), and here in SW Vic there are a lot of big and old Redgums, it's just a matter of getting friendly with a landowner to be able to get on there and cut a bit!

I've only ever ran a 20" bar, but as long as you keep the properly sharpened chains up to it then you really should do well to get one. I've recently bought a 2nd hand 066, got a 25" bar for this, mainly for the really big/old stuff that nobody seems to have a crack at? Beautiful old and dry wood that blokes just leave there!

Anyway, it's a good saw. My main bug with it is it's very hard to find literature in the way of service manuals/parts lists etc. Maybe this model just didn't sell as well as they had hoped? Not sure? If you're friendly with the dealer he may be able to slip you a copy of the service manual??

Good luck and enjoy!

Russell.

Wood Fired Ovens custom built for you!
Bricklaying made easy with How to lay bricks

+1 on the 381, that saw will do anything the 044/440 does just a hair slower. Not much slower in rpm, and it's a 72cc saw. I had a 038 mag and you couldn't tell the difference in the field between my 044 and it. Only when cookie cutting side by side was there a small difference. Yea, a good idea to forget what the Troll said on this one, I doubt he's ever used a 038mag/381 to compare it by, I have. Plus the 381 has better AV than the 044/440.

Back