What do you carry when you go to cut firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saws, fuel & oil, scrench, carb screwdriver, spare chain, file and handle, wedges, axe to drive them, wire rope and snatch block and chains to pull logs out to the road so I don't have to carry them out of the woods to the truck, chaps, brain bucket with face screen, cell phone and/or handheld VHF with the local EMS freq dialled in, Epipen, 2 Sherpa porters, General Electric minigun

Recently, I’ve decided having a CAT tourniquet and quikclot combat gauze on hand are important considerations. Especially after seeing some photos of chainsaw injuries on here recently.
CAT’s and quickclot live in my truck and my IFAC as well as a few Israeli bandages.

Another attempt by HIPA store to ingraciate themselves with members here in order to gain business. I seriously doubt they care what you, me or anyone else carries with them when they head out to go cut. That said, I actually liked the loops of chain I bought from them. Hey HIPA, if you're actually going to read this then when are you going to offer more chain in popular sizes?

Another attempt by HIPA store to ingraciate themselves with members here in order to gain business. I seriously doubt they care what you, me or anyone else carries with them when they head out to go cut. That said, I actually liked the loops of chain I bought from them. Hey HIPA, if you're actually going to read this then when are you going to offer more chain in popular sizes?
I’m really not sure how you have such a hate on for Hipa. It was a simple ask of what do you carry and your down some hate filled nonsense about not carrying a chain size?

I’m not new to chainsaws but I am new to the property maintenance and firewood side of things, mods ect, and I really appreciated the thread to find out what others carried with them. Thank you to all who posted relevant information.

Why don’t you just email the Hipa shop and ask a question, or don’t, I truly don’t care but your comment is very out of place and simply not needed. Try supporting a member rather than bringing them down. It’s garbage like this that ruins a great place.

I’m really not sure how you have such a hate on for Hipa. It was a simple ask of what do you carry and your down some hate filled nonsense about not carrying a chain size?

I’m not new to chainsaws but I am new to the property maintenance and firewood side of things, mods ect, and I really appreciated the thread to find out what others carried with them. Thank you to all who posted relevant information.

Why don’t you just email the Hipa shop and ask a question, or don’t, I truly don’t care but your comment is very out of place and simply not needed. Try supporting a member rather than bringing them down. It’s garbage like this that ruins a great place.
Personally I think Colonel428 's post is no more uncalled for than those who turn it into a what firearm do you carry.

Look at the posts started by Hipa on here, some kind of silly. Actually, this one is If you are going after firewood presumably you will bring something to load it into so maybe there is a loss in translation from some other word to carry as opposed to bring. No one said a wheelbarrow, that would eliminate carrying. Loading ramps will cut down your cargo but sometimes helpful, thinking soft spot on the wheelbarrow trail.

What is your situation? For me I can go to the town transfer station/covered over landfill from years gone by. You need to be a resident and use forestry helmet and chaps and boots. I skip the boots. One 35cc and one 60cc saw hold enough fulids for a ton or so in my 8' bed pickup. A lot of the guys there bring manual splitting stuff. Most guys there seem to have 4 door pick up trucks with small beds sometimes a trailer.
Otherwise it is dealing with blow down whole trees the root ball came out and sometimes just a piece from up a way. Whether or not to make firewood or just cut into 12 foot lengths to brush pile essentially or log to lumber is another topic.

Are you buying a permit to cut in or on state land? Can you cut multiple loads worth of firewood and not worry about someone else harvesting it before you return?

Mr Rugger. "Seek first to understand and then be understood". Unlike you, myself and many others have been active on here long enough to have witnessed the "silly" threads HIPA store has started in the past. There was a flood of them several months ago and then they stopped. When I saw this one I immediately thought, "Oh no, here we go again". It would definitely help your perspective if you used the search function on here and look at the past threads they've started. I have a feeling you'd kinda understand where I'm coming from.

As far as my comments about their chain it's my frustration coming out. I have emailed them with no reply. I've really enjoyed the chains I've bought from them and am hoping they will offer them again, but can't get a response as to if or when that may happen. I was/am hoping they'll respond here (which they've done in the past) with an update. Certainly didn't mean to ruin the thread and I'm glad you've gotten some good ideas from it. All the best, Steve.

Mr Rugger. "Seek first to understand and then be understood". Unlike you, myself and many others have been active on here long enough to have witnessed the "silly" threads HIPA store has started in the past. There was a flood of them several months ago and then they stopped. When I saw this one I immediately thought, "Oh no, here we go again". It would definitely help your perspective if you used the search function on here and look at the past threads they've started. I have a feeling you'd kinda understand where I'm coming from.

As far as my comments about their chain it's my frustration coming out. I have emailed them with no reply. I've really enjoyed the chains I've bought from them and am hoping they will offer them again, but can't get a response as to if or when that may happen. I was/am hoping they'll respond here (which they've done in the past) with an update. Certainly didn't mean to ruin the thread and I'm glad you've gotten some good ideas from it. All the best, Steve.
Hey Steve,

Well, let me apologize to you for coming out gunning without the whole story. You are certainly correct that I should have done my research to understand where you were coming from.

I see more and more on forums where people just seem to have a hate on and like to bash others for no reason whatsoever.

I understand this was not your intention and again, I give my apologies.

Hey Steve,

Well, let me apologize to you for coming out gunning without the whole story. You are certainly correct that I should have done my research to understand where you were coming from.

I see more and more on forums where people just seem to have a hate on and like to bash others for no reason whatsoever.

I understand this was not your intention and again, I give my apologies.
No worries sir and I certainly appreciate the apology. You are absolutely the type of human being that will add to the quality of content on this forum. Thanks, Steve.

Latest posts

Back