What do you do to prevent your saws being stolen??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some areas, especially out in the country, have a reputation... everyone around here knows how to use a gun, and most will not hesitate to hold a thief at gunpoint and wait for the cops.

Thief tries anything stupid after that, one less thief.

It's that simple.

I keep my storage area locked and put a dirty towl over my chainsaw box for the husky. The big bar kinda gives it away if they know what they're looking at though. If they know they are looking for that it's no hiding it then it's time to call the ins co. I also don't advertise what I have in the garage either and keep it closed up as much as possible. One day I may have a collection and then I'll take more drastic measures.

I leave the Poulan out for a decoy:hmm3grin2orange::msp_lol: Maybe they can get it to start reasonably:msp_wink:

There you go. I see all these signature lines with thousands of dollars worth of saws and it looks like an invitation to come and steal them. It isn't hard to track down a person who posts public forum on the Internet.

I keep my stuff locked up and I try to avoid advertising to strangers what I have locked up. I'm especially leery about Craigslist transactions and do my best to have whatever item is for sale out in the driveway with everything closed up. I am always surprised when I buy something from Craigslist and people invite me into their garage or even their home.

That person you just met may be the nicest person in the world but you don't know who they know. The conversation at the bar later may go something like: I was just at this guys house and you wouldn't believe he had XYZ and ABC in his shed out back. He didn't have a dog or a security system or anything and he was telling me how he is out of town for work all the time.

Bottom line, if somebody wants what you have bad enough, they will take it. There is precious little you can do to stop it and IMO you would be foolish to put lives in danger to protect stuff. OTOH openly advertising what you own to strangers probably isn't a good idea either.

I try to keep my front yard and house in as poor condition as I can. Piles of junk and cars up on blocks. I keep telling my wife it is the best security system money can't buy.

Dude THAT IS too funny lmao!

My dads friends say the same thing and this to: ":) you know they have guns in that house, you never know when there home, the light is always on and the dog WILL kill you if he gets off the chain ROF. :) "

Yeah I really need insurance. Some people just don't respect the heart and sweat some of us put into acquiring our equipment. I keep my tools locked up in my beat up dodge grand caravan right outside my storage unit where I sleep. I have my double barrel 12 gauge on the top shelf with two shots and a couple to grab on the side. If you happen to peer in a car window and see a chainsaw, know that man that runs that thing is no push over. My two cents,

- C.j.

I dis-assemble mine, and put them in boxes. Having dozens of saws in boxes is excellent camouflage for the runners. Leaving things like complete David Bradley 360s around also throws them of the scent.

I would like to here what you have done to secure your saw at home??

I only have a small collection at the moment, but planing to exspand with Stilhs big saws. They are expensive saws, and will keep them as they are hard to come by!

I hide all my saws underneath a pile of mini macs and husqavarnas. Nobody would bother stealing those. :msp_biggrin:

A good dog and a AR15 with a thirty rounder, they gotta make it 600 yards before there safe. If he makes it through that then he needs the saw more than me.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

My saws arent that fancy. Theres better stuff to steal in my garage.

the crime rate in the current area where i live is low. just the odd skid walking around. i still am ready for if it ever happens though. my tool for dealing with such a crime is an aluminum tire checker filled with lead. it is heavy and it won't not hurt if somebody were to get introduced to it.

I have naked pictures of myself hung around my barn. It blinds the crooks long enough for the police to arrive .:msp_wink:

It's known here in the PNW they'll burn your house to the ground if by any means your labled as a thief or take anyones saws as they are a way of life here weather it may be you use it for work or firewood to heat your home...I have plenty of lighters:rock:

I pray a lot.

This, and insurance certainly don't hurt.

I pray no one is stupid enough to even attempt something out here. Some are willing to do the triple S treatment if necessary.

Hearing a gun go off around here is not uncommon since everyone has their backyard 'range' and some like to shoot whenever they want, and no one really gets concerned unless it's lots of rapid fire for an extended period of time... then some think there's a war going on... which is understandable.

Yeah, it's a person, but if there is no respect for anyone else's property, like a person stealing and/or breaking into it, most will hold no respect for or have any mercy on that person that's stealing it.

There is only so much #### someone can take... proceed past that line drawn in the sand at your own risk.

a
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

driveway helps a lot.

I use saws nobody would want, and my shop is such a mess an intruder might well get lost for weeks. That and the big dog (who has never been tied or leashed a day in her life), and the guard turkeys.

I think of it as a multi-pronged defense system.

I use saws nobody would want, and my shop is such a mess an intruder might well get lost for weeks. That and the big dog (who has never been tied or leashed a day in her life), and the guard turkeys.

I think of it as a multi-pronged defense system.

You got guard turkeys.......LUCKEEEE........howd ya train em?:chicken::chicken::soldier:

You got guard turkeys.......LUCKEEEE........howd ya train em?:chicken::chicken::soldier:
I wouldn't call 'em trained by any stretch! My daughter raised them, and now has gone off to college. There were four but we got rid of two, leaving a tom and a female. They're a serious PITA - I cannot leave anything out that I am working on or they will get into it and knock everything over, steal my gloves and parts, etc. If I leave the barn door open they'll get into the rafters and knock stuff down into my shop, or fall into it themselves. Did I mention they're clumsy?

However, they are pretty alert to things that should not be on the property, and they intimidate the heck out of some folks! One time when the UPS guy came back up to his truck there were four of them inside - they were a little smaller then but still....

attachment.php

Back