What do you do with bark?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinivanFan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering, what does everyone do with tree bark that comes off while splitting wood? We just dump out in the woods.

The bigger pieces are tossed in the kindling pile.

Shorter pieces are dumped out back where we're trying to level off some depressions. Some of it helps keep the weeds down in the veggie patch.

Its ends up in the closest brush pile, as we don't normally split anywhere close to the OWB to just throw it in there.

toss it in the woods if I am out splitting, if it falls off when I am loading the wheel barrow it get tossed to the side. I don't see much reason to burn it with the limited heat value, and amount of ash it produces.

Kindling, if I need it: otherwise I run it through a small-screen chipper and use it as mulch in the nursery.

Bark and saw dust scraped up with the loader and dumped on the yearly brush pile.

This year I used the shaving, chips and bark from where I cut and split to fill holes in the trail outback.

All of our scraps (bark, chips, sawdust & small pieces) gets hauled to the neighbors compost pile. He collects it from various sources, composts it for a year or so then runs it through a tub grinder and makes some awesome loam.

Wood chips

I happen to have a catalyst stove so i cannot use any fire starters.....So I use some as kindling...and most of it I use to put on the trails in the woods as erosion control

Latest posts

Back