What do you do with your ashes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLL MN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:newbie:

This may be a dumb question, but what do you do when you clean out your boiler/fireplace from time to time during the winter? What I'm getting at is... what do you shovel it into directly out of the boiler/fireplace to haul to where you want to dump it? Do you guys let it burn out for a few days or just dump it knowing that there is nothing that will start on fire, and let the snow take care of it?

I was thinking about getting a few 5 gallon metal buckets...but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

:newbie:

I scoop them into a 10 gallon steel can with a tight lid. Let them sit for a day or three and then toss them on the compost heap, scatter them under some trees, etc.

I spread them over the top of my 10' high x 40' wide horse manure pile. Mix them up now and them with the FEL.

Wood ashes - recommendation

My wife is a Master Gardener with UMD Ag Extension Service and advises:

Wood ash tends to be very alkaline. Too, much in one place can greatly upset the pH balance. If possible, the best recommendation is to spread ashes thinly over a broad area in the woods. Small amounts can be used in highly acidic soils and other highly acidic areas.

What do you do with your ashes?

This is a troll post, right?

OK - I'll say it.

First you dig a big hole where the ash leachate will not harm anything environmentally, then you place the ashes in a metal bucket until they are cool so that you don't start anything on fire, then you set the metal bucket full of cool ashes next to the big hole you dug, and later, when you get mad about something, you go outside, scream, and kick the thing in the ash hole.

Right?

:laugh: Philbert...I asked for that didn't I? That was good though.

I guess what I was looking for was what you put it in...good old metal bucket sounds good to me.

Thanks all.

I put mine in a metal bucket with a tight lid and then put them outside. After a few days or whenever I get around to it I spread them on my dirt road. I have been told that ashes work well to stabilize the gravel.

I store mine in metal buckets. When the driveway and walk are icy I spread them around for easyier walking.

We have a big outdoor firepit used in the summer mostly but burn cardboard year round. Anyway, I just dump hot ashes right into the firepit. It is deep and rock lined.

Ashes add lots of traction to the driveway or walkway after an ice storm or freezing drizzle. I save a barrel full for that. The rest go to the city dump.

I've tried spreading them on the lawn in the spring, but that tends to clog up the spreader.

I keep 2 55 gallon barrels with the top cut out next to the boiler,with a couple of peices of stainless sheet laid on top held down by 3-4 cement blocks.couple of times a winter,scatter them out on the corn and bean fields with the tractor and loader.In 4 years,never put anything in the boiler with nails so no problem farming over them. Scott

My wife is a Master Gardener with UMD Ag Extension Service and advises:

Wood ash tends to be very alkaline. Too, much in one place can greatly upset the pH balance. If possible, the best recommendation is to spread ashes thinly over a broad area in the woods. Small amounts can be used in highly acidic soils and other highly acidic areas.

akaline??? thought acidic--as thats what happens when you add water to it, the first step in making lye--which is acid--

I used to put in 5 gallon steel bucket then wander all over woods dumping piles. Now Im lazy and put in metal pail then leave outside for a few days then put in the garbage. Knock on wood I havent set the gabagetruck afire yet.:biggrinbounce2:

Unload the fire box into a coal bucket leaving an inch or so of ash.
Bucket full of ash and still hot coals goes out the back door and over the hill into the treeline, or as far as the drifts allow foot travel.
There it is dumped into a pile.

In the spring, and if I think about it, I'll spread some of the ashes on out back lawn to reduce the pile, and hopefully Raise the ph a smidge or 5.

The rest gets spread out over some brambles and greenbrier that is attempting Global domination, but only seems to encourage the stuff.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back