What do you keep your bar oil in??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7ce4fa79331b87099b62fefb77df724a.jpg
df7a71df900fc64743f9c47460cd1364.jpg

Been using this for 2 years.
Mine is a flooring sealant and have 2 spare Tide HTE jugs with a plunge valve
They hold a gallon and don't drip when they are shut off
They do pour a little slow at 10 degrees but are very clean to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In "Bawstan" Bona Oil has whole different meaning.

I keep it in the jug it comes in. IMO it's a waste of time to be transferring it to smaller bottles. How much oil does a saws tank hold anyways, 3/4 of a quart? A full days worth of work I could burn about 5 tanks of gas/oil depending what I'm cutting. If I was carrying a 2 quart bottle it wouldn't last the whole day. Might as well just take the jug.

What kind of saw do you have that holds 3/4 of a quart of bar oil?

What kind of saw do you have that holds 3/4 of a quart of bar oil?
I dont know how much they hold, I was guestimating that's why I used a question mark. I just know its not too hard to use a half gallon of oil in a days work. That combined with the fact that I don't have any issues poring from the gallon bottle is why I just use the bottle it comes in.

I dont know how much they hold, I was guestimating that's why I used a question mark. I just know its not too hard to use a half gallon of oil in a days work. That combined with the fact that I don't have any issues poring from the gallon bottle is why I just use the bottle it comes in.
Those big 2 series must hold over a half quart for sure.

Learn something everyday. Doesn't seem like my 362 or 441 holds more than a cup if that much. Don't have any big or old saws, my old gimpy back is happy about that.

Learn something everyday. Doesn't seem like my 362 or 441 holds more than a cup if that much. Don't have any big or old saws, my old gimpy back is happy about that.

And how much would one hold with refills in a day of cutting. I for sure go through more than 3/4 quart a day keeping 3 to 4 saws filled. Yes, I go to the field with no less dthan 3 saws (193/361/441) and commonly carry a 4th (310). Even with one saw 3/4 quart wouldn't last a cutting session.

I found out that they are threaded on but the thread is course and highly likely they won't thread into the oil jug.
IMG_20161118_061140652.jpg

IMG_4684.JPG IMG_4685.JPG I use a fabric softener jug it is Amway i think but see same top in groc stores.
- it holds just over a gallon so takes a whole jug when refilling
-cap has a pour spout that works really nice, especially when fill port is cluttered by handle mount and hard to get to.
-has a groove and drains back into the jug
-pours as fast as I want even cold oil
-cap covers everything and no exposed dirt collection like the push button valve has

View attachment 537931 View attachment 537930 I use a fabric softener jug it is Amway i think but see same top in groc stores.
- it holds just over a gallon so takes a whole jug when refilling
-cap has a pour spout that works really nice, especially when fill port is cluttered by handle mount and hard to get to.
-has a groove and drains back into the jug
-pours as fast as I want even cold oil
-cap covers everything and no exposed dirt collection like the push button valve has

Now that looks like a great thing. I just checked and my jug of Clorox "bleach for colors" Has the same spout. I'll be trying it. The pour spout is the selling point.

And how much would one hold with refills in a day of cutting. I for sure go through more than 3/4 quart a day keeping 3 to 4 saws filled. Yes, I go to the field with no less dthan 3 saws (193/361/441) and commonly carry a 4th (310). Even with one saw 3/4 quart wouldn't last a cutting session.[/QU

I can easily get by on a quart bottle of oil for a day. Between falling, limbing, marking, cutting and loading. I probably use 2-3 tanks to fill the truck, think pic is in avatar. Filling it by myself is enough for a day,especially this time of year. I usually only use 1 saw, second is a backup.

Like Kevin J, I cleaned up a bunch of mid-sized detergent containers with the 'no-drip spouts' (must be a Minnesota thing?). Recycling day here is on Friday, so I just have to walk the dog to get some. Different colors (Tide-orange and All-white) for summer and winter grade oil too!

Tide.jpg
Tried a bunch of things and found that lacquer thinner removed the printing on most bottles, so that they can be clearly labeled with a black 'magic' marker.

Tide2.jpg

Also found that drilling a small drain hole helps all of the oil drain back in, as well as makes it easier to clean out the remaining detergent, if the spout does not snap out on your jug.

Some related threads with other ideas:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ainers-diff-fluid-bottle-alternatives.290418/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-oil-jugs.198780/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-oil-can.289523/

Philbert

The reason I would like to find a better container is that I always end up puncturing the jug, I pretty much carry gas and oil in the back of my truck 24-7-365.. plus half a bed full of chains, binders, tool boxes, grubbing hoes, post drivers, my x27, at least one saw.. and so forth

The reason I would like to find a better container is that I always end up puncturing the jug, . . .
Put the jug in a milk crate, or similar box - maybe build some kind of simple organizer for the fuel and oil, etc. - keep them from tipping over too.

Philbert

Like Kevin J, I cleaned up a bunch of mid-sized detergent containers with the 'no-drip spouts' (must be a Minnesota thing?). Recycling day here is on Friday, so I just have to walk the dog to get some. Different colors (Tide-orange and All-white) for summer and winter grade oil too!

View attachment 538042
Tried a bunch of things and found that lacquer thinner removed the printing on most bottles, so that they can be clearly labeled with a black 'magic' marker.

View attachment 538044

Also found that drilling a small drain hole helps all of the oil drain back in, as well as makes it easier to clean out the remaining detergent, if the spout does not snap out on your jug.

Some related threads with other ideas:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ainers-diff-fluid-bottle-alternatives.290418/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-oil-jugs.198780/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-oil-can.289523/

Philbert
I like this, perhaps even more than my idea. I use 26-oz. maple syrup bottles and fill them from the 1-gal container. The syrup bottles pour beautifully and I seldom waste a drop. Usually I carry two to the work site and cannot remember when I ever ran short. When the caps wear out, I recycle and replace them. Caps usually last me about 9 months.

Latest posts

Back