What Do You Use To Get Your Woods Out Of The Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Do You Use To Get Your Woods Out Of The Woods?

• Skidder

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Bulldozer

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Tractor

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • ATV

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 45 31.3%

• Total voters
should have made it multiple choice...

I use in this order...Tractor, bulldozer, ATV...

I call for logs to be delivered to my yard and they show up on a grapple truck. I voted skidder cus that how they probably gotout of the woods to the landing.

My woods are usually someones pretty back yard.

ASV RC30. Small but has a big heart. :)

Only about 3,500 lbs but will lift almost 1,500 lbs. Green turf tracks cause almost zero damage to lawns. 4' wide.

2010-03-16003.jpg

Here's a little display booth I did at a home show to generate leads for my tree business:

2010-03-16001.jpg

If you're moving logs for a living, something made to move logs is the only way to be really productive. Unless you're moving them out of someone's "pretty back yard".
I used to use a Bobcat 863 with over the tire tracks and a grapple bucket, but that's a one log at a time deal. Now I've got a 440-b JD skidder, I can skid at least 10 times as much in a turn, and it will travel a lot faster with a load than a skidsteer will empty.
The skidsteer & grapple bucket are nice for loading logs on the trailer though.

WalkerJob014.jpg

Andy

Last edited:
I'll use most anything available. Most often that's one of my tractors, so that's what I voted. Use the pickup occasionally for a quick trip, or if the wood is not at my place. The ATV comes out when I need to get into places in the woods where there aren't tractor trails. My woods is fairly open already, and I don't want to open it up further by putting skid trails everywhere. It also works better on the real steep spots out there.

I think if you took them all away, and told me to buy one piece of machinery for wood gathering, it would be a big side by side ATV pulling a trailer.

I use a Yamaha 660 Grizzly and two LogRite arches.

002-7.jpg

001.jpg

Arch.jpg

039-1.jpg

And a rented track hoe.

002-1.jpg

I need more and bigger equipment...but need to earn more too.

My dad uses this to skid while I cut in the woods around our house.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

The arch is a 3pt bucket frame with a chain and hook on it. I have a choker chain I put around the log and drop the arch. Hook the chain, lift and go. If the logs are small we'll drag a few at a time but the shag hickory in the picture was close to the upper limit of what the tractor will pull. I've added more weights to the front since this picture too.

If I can't get the tractor into where the logs are, I'll drag them to a point with the winch on my truck and then hook up to them with the tractor.

Not as big a set up as what I'm seeing here, but it works for me as a homeowner. Lucky that I can take wood from the neighbors property.

Both Simplicity mowers.

Fieldsedge.jpg

Kevin

I use my neighbor's Cat 287C with a Virnig industrial grapple.

My woods are usually someones pretty back yard.

ASV RC30. Small but has a big heart. :)

Only about 3,500 lbs but will lift almost 1,500 lbs. Green turf tracks cause almost zero damage to lawns. 4' wide.

+1 on that. There is a lot of fight in that little dog. Very surprising what that machine will do.

I use my neighbor's Cat 287C with a Virnig industrial grapple.

+1 on that. There is a lot of fight in that little dog. Very surprising what that machine will do.

It's funny. I show up on a job with it and the customers are like "aw, it's so cute." Then they are surprised to see me throwing 1,000 lbs logs around like they are nothing and moving HUGE piles of brush. All without destroying their yard!

Back