What does a saw run like with too high compression?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHSH

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have ported a few saws with 210 plus psi and the most recent is a Dolmar 5100s with 215psi. My questions is what are the symptoms at idle of a saw that has too much or high compression issues. I run 93 oct, amsoil saber 50:1 and startron. The dolmar has this funky idle along with some of the other saws I that i have ported. All the saws have monster power. Its like it skips a stroke and then fires off two right behind each other. When the saw starts and is cold it does not do this, when it worms up it gets more pronounced. It sounds like "ding, space ding ding, space ding, space ding ding" This Dolmar has incredible torque in hard wood. You would break the mounts before you could bog it down. I tried something different with this saw. It was the 14.5k motor that had the reputation of blowing up. I removed the base gasket, 045", cut the piston crown down , no squish band cut, no pop up. Final squish is .025. I did not change the port timing other than the piston cut and the base gasket removal. This would retard the timing, wich I wanted for a 13k high rpm. From my math and observations the cumulative movement of the port timing down retarded the exhuast by 2 degrees about .020" lowering of the exhaust window. I have tried more mix oil, jetting high and low with some effect. Any one if this is cause by high compression. I can gasket the cylinder up if I need.

That is my hope. I will go back at it today and see what happens. Does any one run octane boost when racefuel is not around? If so whats your thoughts. I have an amsoil account and I am going to try some out.

Its been a while since I ported one of the 5100's, but I don't think that you can lower the cylinder that much without free porting the exhaust. Pull the muffler with the piston on tdc and see if the lower part of the piston skirt still has the lower part of the port sealed off.
I think that may be your problem.

Later
Dan

Ok, that is good news. Now I am going to confess something. I went out the start the saw this morning at zero deg F. Pulled and pulled and pulled, nada. So I went to step into the shop to check it out. Before I went in, I said to my self "just check the fuel level", I did, EMPTY!! So I was trying to tune a saw from being out of fuel, duh. I have done this before, just assuming that it has enough. Such a beginners folly. Idles and reponds to tuning better, but not perfect. I am going back to look for things out of wack, carb mount, impulse, gaskets, needle, lever, spring tension, welch plugs etc.

Its been a while since I ported one of the 5100's, but I don't think that you can lower the cylinder that much without free porting the exhaust. Pull the muffler with the piston on tdc and see if the lower part of the piston skirt still has the lower part of the port sealed off.

Later
Dan
I will look at that tomorrow, hmmmm.
check out what dozerdan said
check out what dozerdan said
Thanks, I did see what he said and am going to check it out. Hear is link to a video that I made and you can see and hear how it runs. If you don't like the comentary, please don't beat me up over it.

Later
Dan

I ported one last fall and IIRC after the gasket delete squish was around .014. I removed .008 from the base and .012 from the base and was at the edge of free porting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I ported one last fall and IIRC after the gasket delete squish was around .014. I removed .008 from the base and .012 from the base and was at the edge of free porting.

If he cut .045 on the piston crown and then set the squash to .025, its free ported.

Why did you cut ".008 from the base and .012 from the base"?

Later
Dan

If he cut .045 on the piston crown and then set the squash to .025, its free ported.

Why did you cut ".008 from the base and .012 from the base"?

Later
Dan

.012 from the squish. I was tired and didn't catch the typo

Latest posts

Back