What does reducing RPM's effect on splitter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG BEAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about what type of splitter to get.If I have say a 20 ton splitter with a 15 sec cycle time with a gas engine running at 3600 RPM's what effect will it have on the splitter if I reduce the RPM's to say 2400?
What RPM's do most of the regular(TSC,northern,huskey ect.) run at?
DON

at 2400 rpm you will still have most of your horsepower, so splitting force will probablhy be close.

mostly the splitter will go slower.

it will go (15 seconds) times (( (3600 rpm) divided by (2400 rpm))

which means cycle time will be about 22 seconds.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure.Gas engines make a lot less noise at 2400 or so than 3000-3600.Still haven't decided on big electric or med gas splitter.
DON

I am wondering if it would take even longer then that, as you have to build pressure once you come against the wood to switch to the second stage of the hydraulic pump. I hate the noise of the splitter, but what is your time worth?

I am trying to get my friends Toyota van to make a 4 cylinder splitter like I used to use. My main goal is to make it as quiet as possible. Maybe you can install a larger/quieter muffler on the engine and spray undercoating on the inside of the sheet metal parts (that don't get too hot) to dampen resonance these parts tend to amplify. Also rubber pucks between the cooling fins will also damped noise. I say take the noise reduction challenge and see how quiet you can make it without slowing it down. Go gas unless you have a generator that can run an electric splitter or you will be limited where you can split.

Last edited:
I think that putting anything in the cooling fins is crazy. They are meant for surface contact with air not rubber puck storage. If the noise bothers you wear some ppe. I use earplugs and muffs whenever I use my equipment. Low RPM ,modifying the exhaust etc. will only hurt your equipment.

I think that putting anything in the cooling fins is crazy. They are meant for surface contact with air not rubber puck storage. If the noise bothers you wear some ppe. I use earplugs and muffs whenever I use my equipment. Low RPM ,modifying the exhaust etc. will only hurt your equipment.

I have a 2008 Ducati Hypermotard that has rubber dampening discs, air cooled dirt bikes since the 70's have had rubber resonance dampening discs on the cooling fins. Of course putting a large amount of discs would be detrimental to cooling. And simply saying adding a different muffler will damage the engine is a pretty bunt, unsupported statement. If you look at different pieces of equipment they often have the same engine with different sized exhausts to meet a given size/sound goal. My pressure washer has a Honda GC 190 and my buddies splitter has a GC 190 and yet they have different mufflers, so I guess one of them is hurting the engine. If you do things hap-hazzardly of course you can get bad results, but if you use sound well thought out methods you can get improve results.

I have modified or changed all my small gas engines mufflers and to no ill effect.I just don't like noise and am thinking about an electric splitter for just that reason(also if I wire it for 220V no one will ask to borrow it).I don't like to lend out tools unless I go with them.I always seem to get them back bent or broken:angry:
DON

I have a 2008 Ducati Hypermotard that has rubber dampening discs, air cooled dirt bikes since the 70's have had rubber resonance dampening discs on the cooling fins. Of course putting a large amount of discs would be detrimental to cooling. And simply saying adding a different muffler will damage the engine is a pretty bunt, unsupported statement. If you look at different pieces of equipment they often have the same engine with different sized exhausts to meet a given size/sound goal. My pressure washer has a Honda GC 190 and my buddies splitter has a GC 190 and yet they have different mufflers, so I guess one of them is hurting the engine. If you do things hap-hazzardly of course you can get bad results, but if you use sound well thought out methods you can get improve results.

By hurt I mean performance. If you like stuffing rubber in cooling fins for resonance go for it . I just think its silly.

Last edited:
My generator has auto idle at 2400 rpm's and is very quiet all you hear is the lifters ticking and I can live with that.
DON

You all are trying to make your splitters quieter... I am making mine louder. ... The louder I make it the less complaining I can hear from the kids as they are pi$$ing and moaning about having to work....

I almost run the 18hp Briggs on my splitter at around 2400rpm. It's got a 28gpm two stage pump and a 5 inch cylinder and it has a pretty good ram speed even with the reduced rpm. Engine noise is a lot lower and I imagine fuel consumption is too.
same here--and ive run it at 1800 rpms forever---uses much less fuel--and goes fast enough it will still wear me out after about 4 hrs!!!!!!!!!!! i built it 37 years ago--first engine finally got tired!!!!!! wonder why??:greenchainsaw:

I know a guy who had a splitter powered by a Farmall Cub 60cu. flathead. That is about as quite as you will get with a gas engine. Even without a muffler those engines are real quite. Problem is they only make about 12HP max and are 4 cylinders and pretty heavy compared to a new single or twin.

I decided to go with an 11HP engine on my splitter, when a 9HP would have done ... but when I looked at the power band charts I think the 11HP unit will achieve the same power as the 9HP and only be running at a little over half throttle ... time will tell.

Cheers

:)

I have a 2008 Ducati Hypermotard that has rubber dampening discs, air cooled dirt bikes since the 70's have had rubber resonance dampening discs on the cooling fins.

OH MY !!! Still remember the day I first saw one ( the old lady too ), couple scary lane changes and two uturns to get in Redline Ducati's driveway .
LOVE that machine ! Got a new DRZ to wear out first though . Chow !
(not a hijack )

Last edited:
i run my little baby splitter at about half throttle maybe a bit more and i still never have to wait for it. i never timed it but im hoping to get alot of splitting done this week AS IM ON VACATION WOOHOOOO, but anyway ill time it at various rpms and let you all know.

Alright....I'm going to stick my foot out here.....

I want to start building a splitter...over time as I find metal, parts, and money. I split all my wood right beside my shop which is where my firewood is stored for the winter. I would like my splitter to run off of 220V 1PH power instead of gas/ethanol mix and I won't have to listen to a screaming gas motor beside me while splitting. Why can I not go with an electric motor to power a splitter? What size would I need? I can go up to 7.5HP on 1PH power.

start a new thread, and you will get better results on the electric power question.

in theory, according to a number of sources, you can safely double the electric horsepower ratings when comparing them to gasoline engines.

pay attention to the motor rpm. there are a bunch of electric motors that turn 1700 or so, but if you pay attention, you can find one at 3300 or 3400 rpm.

other then that, should work the exact same way a gas engine works. wire it so the pump is always turning. there is almost no resistance in the hydrualics when the ram isn't turning, and it is really hard on electric motors to turn on and off all the time.

in other words, turn the electric motor on when you start working, adn leave it running while you work, just like you would with a gas engine.

well, i am in the process of building a gasoline splitter that can be towed down the road. i'm going to be using an 11 hp i/c briggs motor. we have an electric one now but its stationary. its 3 h.p. 220 1ph. its a farm duty motor so it turns 1750 but the pump is only rated at 1750 so thats no big deal. i love it, can be run indoors safely, nice and quiet, cheaper to operate, virtually maintenance free, etc...

I had been running my splitter 1/2 to 3/4 throttle a lot of the time for 3 seasons. It wouldnt start the other day after always starting on the 1st or 2nd pull. Checked the plug, it was fouled. Full throttle for me from now on!

Back