What does this fungus mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
Big shingle oak over house, wires and roads. What should be done?

Attachments

• 20140723_083340_resized.jpg
    20140723_083340_resized.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 98
Humid, yeah, very.

"The fungus means there is wood being broken down and consumed.
Remove the girdling roots and check to see if tree is growing into stones and move maybe move some stones."

Uh huh.

I don't deal with oaks very often and never dealt with a shingle oak. But I'm guessing it's one of the root rots, either ganoderma or inonotus. In either case, they are a root/butt rot which makes them very susceptible to toppling. I'm afraid that they are sign of a death sentence as it is a hazard if it is near any kind of target.

I will waffle by saying that I could be wrong with my ID and would need to confirm.

Here's pics of the crown. Del had the plan for a continued look at the flare; can't decide without seeing the whole picture. Not a death sentence by any means. The fungus was ID'd from afar as Inonotus, but it looks like Bodnarziewia berkeleyii to me, which is an aggressive buttrotter.

The crown sprawls over the road on the right, and is 'pushed' that way by the red oak behind the house.20140723_083340_resized.jpg

0722141802[1].jpg

Wonder if "included bark" also refers to the interface between stone and bark with the tree injuring itself with growth. Anyway I'd be checking the entire buttress for further infection in the hidden areas. Little mallet sounding would follow. Later maybe culture the fungi at the extension depending on client's expectations (and dedication to my service....$).

Good idea re mallet and i agree, enveloping bark is kind alike included bark. this one's 20 minutes from you btw. It'd be interesting to see how a TRAQ-trained person would view it.

already sold the work; gonna do it Aug 11 or 12. Know anyone who chips brush? Not much >4" dia. :blob2:

you can rent small chippers any rental place around here. Most co.s are backed a good month with eab victims and probably not gonna want a small chip job but you never know.

Yeah corner Hawthorn and Belmont. Email me if you might want to sell a half day of light pruning with your bucket; I might have enough on it to afford you! You could also see if we argue as much in person as we do online. :givebeer:

And...I would show you my TRAQ work, Mitigation Options etc. on this tree if you show me yours. :p

Latest posts

Back