What Echo saw should I add to my collection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's tax return time and I always spend a tiny bit of it for something fun. For me these days it always seems to point to a chainsaw. Not too spendy, but fun and useful(Given it made some sense as "useful" when I had only 2 or 3 saws).

I'm an equal opportunity employer when it comes to chainsaws thus far so I'm looking specifically for a reasonably priced Echo this time around. My brother has one saw and its an old Echo. I think its a 5600 EVL or something like that but I'm not even sure. At any family wood cutting get together you'll find him spouting off in good natured ribbing about "TEAM ECHO!" and "The greatest ever made!" Now keep in mind he's an older brother who likes to poke fun at my odd affinity for woodcutting equipment by spouting this gibberish but I do like its old school look and its low growl as it chews through the wood. I've actually posted his doctored "Victory Video" somewhere here(titled rightfully "My brother is a cheater"). If you've watched it you'll understand my need for an old school/cheap new edition Echo to shred his saw to bits.

My only requirements are that it be lighter than an anvil, dependable, and be acquired for $150 or less. And beat his saw of course!

Ideas?

It's tax return time and I always spend a tiny bit of it for something fun. For me these days it always seems to point to a chainsaw. Not too spendy, but fun and useful(Given it made some sense as "useful" when I had only 2 or 3 saws).

I'm an equal opportunity employer when it comes to chainsaws thus far so I'm looking specifically for a reasonably priced Echo this time around. My brother has one saw and its an old Echo. I think its a 5600 EVL or something like that but I'm not even sure. At any family wood cutting get together you'll find him spouting off in good natured ribbing about "TEAM ECHO!" and "The greatest ever made!" Now keep in mind he's an older brother who likes to poke fun at my odd affinity for woodcutting equipment by spouting this gibberish but I do like its old school look and its low growl as it chews through the wood. I've actually posted his doctored "Victory Video" somewhere here(titled rightfully "My brother is a cheater"). If you've watched it you'll understand my need for an old school/cheap new edition Echo to shred his saw to bits.

My only requirements are that it be lighter than an anvil, dependable, and be acquired for $150 or less. And beat his saw of course!

Ideas?
900EVL

Or do you want a new Echo?

900 EVL sounds like an anvil and over my $150 limit! Although I'd like the power!

By the way he has a 550 EVL. I found the old thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/116640.htm

This might help my cause for retaliation! (That and a better understanding of video editing softare!)

Keep 'em coming!

You can probably get a 452VL, though its smaller than the 550 for that kind of money. A 750 will likely go over your budget.

There is a 602 and a 702, I have not run any of them, I have seen them out there.

Did they make anything between the 550 and the 750EVL. I'm thinking there's a 650 out there?

Yep, there's a 650EVL I had one. The saw was kinda heavy and had no chain brake, but Had good power and built like a battleship. I suppose you might be able to find one for $150, I sold mine last year, I ended up getting more than $150 for it though. Don't forget the John Deere Variants: like the 65EV. I like collecting the old John Deere saws made by Echo: I have a Nice 66SV and a 55EV so far.
BTW nice video with your bro, everyone needs a laugh now and then!

Last edited:
I kinda lookin to

I have a stihl ms260p I need something bigger me local dealer has me talked into a echo is their pro models or and good bang for my buck 70 - 80 cc or go with another brand like stihl

There is one of those 60s on CL, guy wants $100, it looks nearly new.
lumber rack

I'd make that phone call if I were closer! Good point about the john deere echos. I forgot they made them back then. I don't suppose a newer 35-40cc Echo would be much lighter than my 346xp but it might be nice to keep a little one on the quad. Wouldn't beat my brother's though. I'd just tell him that's because it's an Echo!

you can get a new CS400 for just over $200. Do the muffler mod, and have a really nice little saw, with a 5 year warranty. They only weigh 10 pounds.

Bummer. Found a local Craigslist ad for a 650EVL(in my home town even!) but unfortunately he's pretty proud of it. 250 bucks. Not a terrible price(it comes with 8 chains and a case) but not close enough for a guy like me with CAD on the cheap. I am a little interested in a cheapie cs400 or 370 for small limbing quad duty but there's still that 60cc+ loving part of me that wants to whoop up on the older brother! Ahhh, the dilemma...

If only I would have scarfed up that 200 dollar 750EVL a year ago...sigh. Damn CAD...

Latest posts

Back