What gloves do you wear? Are they American made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for general climbing, rigging and in tree saw running I'm using leather palmed ronstan sailing gloves. they're $40/pair and i get about 5 or 6 months out of them. being designed for hauling wet rope they work well in most conditions and are grippy. I use the kind with the fingertips bare. They have no protection on the back at all chain wise. No idea where they are made.

I also use the nitrile dipped gloves sometimes, more for general wood hauling and brush dragging. They're nicely grippy and great for climbing with rope. They really reduce the amount of squeeze you have to put on a rope and still be able to keep it in your hand, but they're clumsy for knot tying/untying, operating choke switches etc. A lot of variation between gloves with grip and life, and its not always about price either. I've had some of the blue palmed atlas gloves not last a day. I'm using some black palmed ones now and get a couple months out of a pair.

Shaun

I usually just buy the Work Safe or White Ox cotton gloves from Bailey's. Every Spring I buy a dozen pair. Each pair lasts a couple of weeks depending on what I'm doing with them.
If I'm just falling they might last a month or so. If I'm handling rigging or moving firewood they don't last quite as long but duct-tape sticks to the fingers real well and makes a good patch.
I lose more gloves than I wear out. :msp_mad:

Last edited:
I usually just buy the Work Safe or White Ox cotton gloves from Bailey's. Every Spring I buy a dozen pair. Each pair lasts a couple of weeks depending on what I'm doing with them.
If I'm just falling they might last a month or so. If I'm handling rigging or moving firewood they don't last quite as long but duct-tape sticks to the fingers real well and makes a good patch.
I lose more gloves than I wear out. :msp_mad:

I only lose the right glove. I have a bucket full of left gloves.

Aha! There is somebody besides me that does that. I feel better now. My left hand gloves live in a cardboard box in the shop. I tried to get my wife interested in moving the thumbs over on a few of them (she's handy with a sewing machine) and making them into righties but I got that WIFE LOOK instead.

Maybe we need to form a support group. My name is ----- and I lose my right gloves.

I panicked at the GOL. I opened my beautiful Power Puff Girls pack and could only see left hand gloves. I was sure I had matched up pairs prior to leaving home. I dug some, and found a right hand glove.

Conspiracy? Or do we live next to a worm hole, where socks and gloves get sucked in, one at a time.

I buy the White Ox ones. They have the right sizes, just like socks, in my shopping town.

Conspiracy? Or do we live next to a worm hole, where socks and gloves get sucked in, one at a time.

It's not just gloves. It's phillips screwdrivers, too. Also #10 black ink pens, bottle openers, rolls of electrical tape, cigarette lighters, small c-clamps, funnels, and that little L-shaped thingy that tightens the camlocks on tire chains.

Some of that stuff doesn't actually disappear, instead it migrates in and out of our lives. I either have five screwdrivers...or none. The ink pens get eaten by my crummy, or find little hiding places around the house until they slowly begin to filter back in. Suddenly I have a whole pickle jar full of pens, most of which have dried up over the course of the summer and don't work anymore. Maybe if I keep them in the jar long enough the'll lure the scotchtape dispenser, the hand held calculator, and the large manila envelopes into joining them on my desk...where they should all be to begin with.

Today there was no electrical tape. Anywhere. I take that back...electrical tape with just enough on the roll to almost finish whatever I'm working on showed up just often enough to tease me. I put them on the special shelf with cans of WD-40 that have just a bit too much left in them to throw away...but not enough to do any real good. I carry a full can in each vehicle. I think they get out at rest stops and wander off.

Last winter I performed a major neatness on my shop. I found seven 9/16 wrenches. Nobody needs that many 9/16 wrenches which is a good thing because by now I'm back down to two of them.

And the L-shaped camlock tighteners? This last Spring when we finally put the tire chains away I had eight of them, all painted bright red with a hole drilled in the end for a belt lanyard so I absolutely couldn't lose one. Find one now, I dare you.They're probably vacationing in Barbados with the phillips screw drivers and full rolls of electrical tape. Hope they make it back before winter.

Nope, I'm on the Injured Reserve list. Again. With all my spare time maybe I can try to figure out the migratory patterns of tools, dental floss containers, AAA batteries, and the highly elusive ink pens.

No 'shrooms. Don't like 'em.

I used my White Ox gloves to take the Grapple Cat in for his yearly maintenance. A look of fear was on the Veterinarians face when I put on the gloves and mentioned maybe I SHOULD have worn my long sleeved sweatshirt. He looked around and voiced concern about the where abouts of his volunteer assistant. The latter had disappeared.

I reached into the kitty carrier and brought a limp cat out for shots. No traction devices were extended. The vet asked if Grapple was dangerous. I replied, "I don't know. I've never had him out like this."

The needle went into the hip of the Grapple Cat. His head whirled around and he snapped at the vet. No claws for me. I scratched Grapple's head and held it down. The other shot went into the other hip. Grapple stayed limp. I placed him back in the carrier. It was done. Off came the gloves, untested.

Actually, I was wearing them to keep the kitty cooties off my hands. I'm allergic to Grapple. But it sure worries other people when you put them on!

Husky (husqvarna) makes chainsaw protective gloves. I use them to operate my Stihl chainsaws (which gets me some rude comments around here because everybody I know is 100% Stihl).

And those gloves were hard to find. There are husky "regular" gloves and "chainsaw protective gloves". Both look the same, but the chainsaw gloves have more padding on the back side. Kevlar?

Husky (husqvarna) makes chainsaw protective gloves. I use them to operate my Stihl chainsaws (which gets me some rude comments around here because everybody I know is 100% Stihl).

And those gloves were hard to find. There are husky "regular" gloves and "chainsaw protective gloves". Both look the same, but the chainsaw gloves have more padding on the back side. Kevlar?

Husqvarna doesn't make gloves. Identical gloves are sold under the label "Jonsered" and even "Stihl". They are not made in the USA, but in India. Sounds like cheap, eh? But maybe not. I have a pair of protected "Jonsered" mittens (with a separate right hand forefinger), which I use when a piss freezes up before landing. That's the sturdiest piece of handwear I've ever had. We don't have extreme cold all the time, just few months a year, but I have worn them 4 years. They look bad now, but I'm going to wear them next winter as well. India has few thousands years tradition manufacturing leather. And they are made of the Holy Cow's skin after all!

Maybe we need to form a support group. My name is ----- and I lose my right gloves.

I panicked at the GOL. I opened my beautiful Power Puff Girls pack and could only see left hand gloves. I was sure I had matched up pairs prior to leaving home. I dug some, and found a right hand glove.

I buy the White Ox ones. They have the right sizes, just like socks, in my shopping town.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHemwSzS8_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got lucky the other day. My 660 chain broke and hit the chainbreak bar and just nicked my left hand glove. It tore the glove apart (cheap Harbor Freight 6 pack). Been looking around for something with Kevlar on the back of the left hand and am having a devil of a time. Lumbermans looked good but they told me they were made in China for them "no American company makes that quality level of glove." Wow, is it that bad that the Chi-Coms have to make our gloves? Help me out here. What do you all wear?

Haha makes me think of how they should put on kids toys- "made in china by kids your age":smile2:

Latest posts

Back