What grinder to get to do stuff I can't do with my Apline Magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterng

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've run the Alpine for a couple of years now. I do all the stumps for 2 local tree service companys.

It's great at what it does well and it definately has a limit. I'll do 9 jack pines in three hours no problem. But I'm not overly interested in hanging off the end of it for 3-4 hours on one stump. The teeth are the lynch pin of the system. Rocky ground is hard on teeth. I'd like a grinder that doesn't mind the rocks as bad and can take care of some of the bigger stumps.

I'm really interested in getting another grinder now. I like the idea of self propelled but I'll let you tell me what you would get.

Thanks,
Pete

A Vermeer 252 like mine w/25hp is very tooth sensitive also. It is way more productive if I keep sharp teeth on it and therefore I do.

The Carlton w/stock 35hp and the Sandvic is less so, but its underpowered IMO just like the 252 is with 25/27hp. But it can produce longer- ie with dull teeth when the 252 would demand a change. I often run my 252 side by side the 4012 and do pretty well against it.
I use yellowjacket teeth. This is really a nice system and makes it easy to keep good teeth on the wheel. You won't change teeth out enough if you have to reach for that 270lb torque wrench every time a tooth needs attention.

I do have rocks but nothing like some of you guys. If I start hitting rock I will be changing teeth soon.

A smart operator is the most important part of any stump grinder. Keep that in mind and you will do well.

Joshua

A warning about the magnums, they are tough on your joints, they will make you an old man faster than most machines arborists would come across. Great piece of kit, but a grinder at both ends.
I have been thinking of having greenteeth set up for mine and getting a wheel engineered to suit.

Best see whats operating well in your area gear wise, look at how you haul, how you like to work and most importantly, what your clients are asking for. Use the search feature well and this place is a goldmine. I am currently looking at upgrading to a dosko 691.

I bought a used Rayco Mini-Workforce which is a self-propelled 20hp handlebar type machine. Works well on stumps up to about 30" diameter. Anything larger than that I send to a friend. This type of machine will give you a workout but, hey, no more gym fees! My unit paid for itself in less than 5 months! These can normally be bought in the $4,000+ range in good condition. Make sure the unit you buy is "SELF-PROPELLED", you don't want to be pushing 600 lbs. around and then have to grind with it! Good Luck!

I think I'm really leaning towards a larger diesel unit. in the 60hp range at least. I only need to handle the big stuff. Remote control as well. I don't want to be standing in the dust any more than I am now.

I can't see justifying a $46000 price with the volume of work I have.

Best Listings Site on the Web!

may have to be the way to go. but you never know what you're getting, who owned it, how diligent they were ?? I think time will solve this issue.

here's a deal !!

http://equipment.treetrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=9716

had to laugh since I saw old Harv took it hard in a couple of past posts

I think I'm really leaning towards a larger diesel unit. in the 60hp range at least. I only need to handle the big stuff. Remote control as well. I don't want to be standing in the dust any more than I am now.

I can't see justifying a $46000 price with the volume of work I have.

Best Listings Site on the Web!

may have to be the way to go. but you never know what you're getting, who owned it, how diligent they were ?? I think time will solve this issue.

here's a deal !!

Stump Removers : 08 Carlton SP7015 60hp Diesel Remote $22,500.00

had to laugh since I saw old Harv took it hard in a couple of past posts

Run away fast from anything from Harv. You will be wasting your time even just looking at it. You will be dumping money into it faster than you can imagine if you actually buy it.

That machine has WAY more hours on it than just 247. That rock shield around the cutter head is already showing way more wear than those hours. Bet it has a new hour meter and a new (sloppy) paint job. If you don't believe me, call Harv, get the VIN, call Carlton, see who originally owned it, and then call them and see how many hours it had when they sold it.

If you're looking for a stump grinder to go with your alpine, I suggest getting the biggest self-propelled grinder you can afford. The 25-35 hp grinders won't be much faster than your alpine but will be much easier to use. If you step up to the 60 hp range, you will have a great combo and be able to do basically any stump.

...The 25-35 hp grinders won't be much faster than your alpine but will be much easier to use. ...

SNORK!

If I couldn't grind out a stump at least twice as fast as an Alpine take me out back and shoot me. I think the rest of your advice is sound, but "won't be much faster"? C'mon now, 25-35hp grinders are not otherworldly, but they do grind stumps much faster than an alpine in the hands of a decent operator and if they are set up well. Not knocking Alpines, just not accepting the "won't be" comment.

Joshua

I can't believe how many people fly off the handle and unload without an ounce of respect.

I've run them both, a lot, and "won't be much faster" is a completely accurate statement. I'm not investing in anything that doesn't provide a significant increase in production and capability.

If the 252 offered twice the production, or could easily do the stupid big stumps, it would be a contender. But it's not.

I think that, for me, the 60hp diesel remote self propelled is the next step to get stuff I can't do with the Alpine.
Pete

I can't believe how many people fly off the handle and unload without an ounce of respect.

I've run them both, a lot, and "won't be much faster" is a completely accurate statement. ...

Wow Pete. Fly off the handle? My comments were meant only as an observation based on experience. Was not meant to build up 25-35hp machines, or tear down Alpines. I don't give a rip if you can't get much more from a 25hp machine than you can from an Alpine. I know if my 252 is not running sharp teeth and I don't grind smart, productivity falls way off.
If someones opinion is in your view "without an ounce of respect" based on my above post, I suggest taking your own inventory first.

It takes very little for you to go off.

Joshua

SNORK!

If I couldn't grind out a stump at least twice as fast as an Alpine take me out back and shoot me. I think the rest of your advice is sound, but "won't be much faster"? C'mon now, 25-35hp grinders are not otherworldly, but they do grind stumps much faster than an alpine in the hands of a decent operator and if they are set up well. Not knocking Alpines, just not accepting the "won't be" comment.

Joshua

I've run them both. I've owned an Alpine, a Rayco 1625, and a Carlton 7015 trx. I know from experience. Would I want to ONLY have an Alpine? No way. Does that mean that you can't grind out a stump in about the same time as a 25 hp machine with an Alpine? No.

Many times, I've done stumps in the backyard where getting the Rayco TO the stump took a VERY long time (that machine, and most small self-propelled grinders, have stupid slow travel speeds.) especially if you had to remove the dual wheels. Stumps like that, the Alpine wins.

I'm only speaking from experience. I have no dog in this race. I'm not even in the business anymore. I could care less what anyone ends up buying. (Unless it's from Harv. lol)

Wow Pete. Fly off the handle? My comments were meant only as an observation based on experience. Was not meant to build up 25-35hp machines, or tear down Alpines. I don't give a rip if you can't get much more from a 25hp machine than you can from an Alpine. I know if my 252 is not running sharp teeth and I don't grind smart, productivity falls way off.
If someones opinion is in your view "without an ounce of respect" based on my above post, I suggest taking your own inventory first.

It takes very little for you to go off.

Joshua

SNORK !

Just joking, don't mean to be childish but couldn't resist :)

Have a good one boys and thanks for the replys, I've got it narrowed down now.
Pete

I have a magnum and a Rayco Super Jr. If I am grinding a 10" stump the Alpine is faster. It cuts faster, makes smaller chips (Sawdust really) and can reposition in an instant.

When I take both to a job it comes down to how many calories the overall job will take. If it's two or three 12" stumps It's worth the time to get the Jr off the trailer. If its just a single 10" pine I can be back on the truck with the Alpine quicker.

Also, I dont like to get the JR near a house or hazardous area (pool or chain link fence etc..) but I cant live without it. I could get a larger stumper, but in my area grinding a stump over 36" across is rare, most of those trees were taken when they built all the subdivisions.

I vote for a 25HP with power steering unless you are getting calls for big stumps, then go bigger.

I've run them both. I've owned an Alpine, a Rayco 1625, and a Carlton 7015 trx. I know from experience. Would I want to ONLY have an Alpine? No way. Does that mean that you can't grind out a stump in about the same time as a 25 hp machine with an Alpine? No.

Many times, I've done stumps in the backyard where getting the Rayco TO the stump took a VERY long time (that machine, and most small self-propelled grinders, have stupid slow travel speeds.) especially if you had to remove the dual wheels. Stumps like that, the Alpine wins.

I'm only speaking from experience. I have no dog in this race. I'm not even in the business anymore. I could care less what anyone ends up buying. (Unless it's from Harv. lol)

Scott are you no longer grinding anymore. You seemed to have a pretty good operation going. Did you move on the bigger and better or did I misunderstand your quote.

Scott are you no longer grinding anymore. You seemed to have a pretty good operation going. Did you move on the bigger and better or did I misunderstand your quote.

I applied with the railroad the exact same month I bought my first stump grinder. That was Sep 2007. I got hired in Sep 2010 with CN. Now I have a job with a steady (and nice) paycheck even in the winter and have insurance, including dental and vision for my whole family for $100 per month. :)

I applied with the railroad the exact same month I bought my first stump grinder. That was Sep 2007. I got hired in Sep 2010 with CN. Now I have a job with a steady (and nice) paycheck even in the winter and have insurance, including dental and vision for my whole family for $100 per month. :)
Scott, glad to hear your doing well. I always enjoyed your post and was glad to see you continue after going to work with railroad. Did you sell your blue TRX? I bought one 18 months ago with 65 hours and love it. I still have my old 4400-4 with 2000 hours on it and just put another man on to run it. Do you miss grinding ?

Scott, glad to hear your doing well. I always enjoyed your post and was glad to see you continue after going to work with railroad. Did you sell your blue TRX? I bought one 18 months ago with 65 hours and love it. I still have my old 4400-4 with 2000 hours on it and just put another man on to run it. Do you miss grinding ?

I saw a wheeled 7015 going down the hwy today and smiled. I do miss it some but don't miss the headaches associated with it. It seemed like I was always fixing, upgrading, greasing, or something else with the equipment.

I sold my stump grinder to a guy that lived only about 30 minutes from the hotel we were staying at. (I live in Mississippi and was working in Illinois at the time.) Worked out great.

I still have my little skid steer and have been doing some chainsaw milling in my free time. (which isn't much.)

I'm probably going to be moving (Sep?) when I get my full Signalman rights. (Just an assistant right now.) I'm really going to miss the room and being able to mill wood and do other thing like that since I'll probably be in a rental house or an apartment then.

I enjoy my job and it's satisfying because it's what my schooling was for oh so many years ago. Feels good to finally be putting it to use. Plus, I still get to be outside and play with machines. :)

I saw a wheeled 7015 going down the hwy today and smiled. I do miss it some but don't miss the headaches associated with it. It seemed like I was always fixing, upgrading, greasing, or something else with the equipment.

I sold my stump grinder to a guy that lived only about 30 minutes from the hotel we were staying at. (I live in Mississippi and was working in Illinois at the time.) Worked out great.

I still have my little skid steer and have been doing some chainsaw milling in my free time. (which isn't much.)

I'm probably going to be moving (Sep?) when I get my full Signalman rights. (Just an assistant right now.) I'm really going to miss the room and being able to mill wood and do other thing like that since I'll probably be in a rental house or an apartment then.

I enjoy my job and it's satisfying because it's what my schooling was for oh so many years ago. Feels good to finally be putting it to use. Plus, I still get to be outside and play with machines. :)

Sounds good. Stay safe my friend.

Latest posts

Back