what happens when a chipper feed wheel grabs a half inch rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, with modified prussic you would be pulled to the top of the tree before being ripped out. Geez

This thread got me thinking, when someone is up a tree a TWSZ (Tree Working Safety Zone) should be set up around the work. A radius extending out as far at the rope would extend and nothing should be allowed in that zone that could snag and pull the rope, chipper/shredder, stump grinder, tractor, etc. I know, you would have to drag the branches farther but it’s better than being pulled out of the tree.

TreeBarber said:
This thread got me thinking, when someone is up a tree a TWSZ (Tree Working Safety Zone) should be set up around the work. A radius extending out as far at the rope would extend and nothing should be allowed in that zone that could snag and pull the rope, chipper/shredder, stump grinder, tractor, etc. I know, you would have to drag the branches farther but it’s better than being pulled out of the tree.

And eaten.

Yep.

:cheers:

me like. :)

About 6 years ago, a guy I was working with drug brush across a 5/8 line that was tied to the top of a spar. The chipper, a bandit 250 went from full throttle to stopped in about one second. The line had wrapped 125+ feet of itself around the shaft on the chipper disk. It took about 6-7 hours to get it all back out.

I saw ~150 ft of 1/2 inch double braid go through a feed-wheel drum chipper.

Zip...and it was a bunch of fluff in the box.

Hey, that was mine!

shouldn't have been laying around I was told.

It was a "burn" rope, so i got one of their old ones.

Saw som zing-it go in....

I don't have a rope-in-chipper story, as I'm a one-man op. Just wondering--is it more dangerous to climb alone? I do it fairly often. The worst part (so far) is dropping branches on your rope; sometimes it' s a struggle to get slack. I've had to pull a big branch up to me a few times to untangle it. My wife dosen't want me to, but I cheat.

Latest posts

Back