What happens when you switch gas and oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlotstolearn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What would happen to a saw if you put gas in the bar chain oil resevoir and bar chain oil in the gas resevoir and tried to run the saw?

if you got bar oil up to the carb you probaly will have to clean it. but if not you can just dump it out and rinse out the gas tank and it will run fine. ive done this before i just take a little bit of gas and slosh it around dump it out. fill it back up and go to town.

What would happen to a saw if you put gas in the bar chain oil resevoir and bar chain oil in the gas resevoir and tried to run the saw?

Thats called making a stupid mistake.

Welcome to the club:cheers:

Umm... You should probably not be using a saw if you really need to go clean the bar oil out of your fuel tank.

Or at least keep the buzz down till your done:jawdrop:

I have seen that happen before, and understand your concern.

What happens is not pretty at all.

Lots of starter rope pulling, followed by lots of Choke pulling, and more starter rope pulling with some furious cussing, then the ignition switch gets flipped back and forth a few times and the cycle repeats untill the sawyer runs outta creative profanitys.

At this point, usually the Sawyers cutting partner suggests that maybe there is something wrong with the fuel, and the cap is removed.

The resulting cussing in most cases, is authoritative enough to disturb local Avian life forms and alter the Mating habits of woodland rodentia.

Most times the oil is poured out, and the fuel tank is rinsed with pre-mix, and the spark plug removed with more pulling and cussing than before untill again the unique and creative Profanitys run out,the plug is re-installed and the saw starts.

If you experience such a phemomenon yourself, remember that beating the tailgate with the saw is NOT the answer, and it's better to hurl less fragile objects while in a blind rage...Saw cases and spare tires are perfect for this.

If you witness someone else with the symptoms, remember that no one has successfully thrown a chainsaw THROUGH a tree YET.
Keep one between you and the victim of oilinthewrongfriggintankosis untill symptoms pass. ;)

One tank at a time, one jug at a time..and maintain a safe distance from anyone starting a saw right after refueling.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have seen that happen before, and understand your concern.

What happens is not pretty at all.

Lots of starter rope pulling, followed by lots of Choke pulling, and more starter rope pulling with some furious cussing, then the ignition switch gets flipped back and forth a few times and the cycle repeats untill the sawyer runs outta creative profanitys.

At this point, usually the Sawyers cutting partner suggests that maybe there is something wrong with the fuel, and the cap is removed.

The resulting cussing in most cases, is authoritative enough to disturb local Avian life forms and alter the Mating habits of woodland rodentia.

Most times the oil is poured out, and the fuel tank is rinsed with pre-mix, and the spark plug removed with more pulling and cussing than before untill again the unique and creative Profanitys run out,the plug is re-installed and the saw starts.

If you experience such a phemomenon yourself, remember that beating the tailgate with the saw is NOT the answer, and it's better to hurl less fragile objects while in a blind rage...Saw cases and spare tires are perfect for this.

If you witness someone else with the symptoms, remember that no one has successfully thrown a chainsaw THROUGH a tree YET.
Keep one between you and the victim of oilinthewrongfriggintankosis untill symptoms pass. ;)

One tank at a time, one jug at a time..and maintain a safe distance from anyone starting a saw right after refueling.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yes definitely keep a tree between you and a person rabid with that syndrome and piss yourself laughing while they are having a hissy fit about putting oil in the wrong tank. Believe me it is real funny when you see it happen I had that opportunity out on a logging site this fella was talking to his buddy while refueling and wasn't watching where the oil and gas went, He quickly became the laugh and joke of the day.

if you got bar oil up to the carb you probaly will have to clean it. but if not you can just dump it out and rinse out the gas tank and it will run fine. ive done this before i just take a little bit of gas and slosh it around dump it out. fill it back up and go to town.

Happened to me, did exactly the same. Nothing happened to the saw.

This thread saved my day.

Up at 3:50
DRENCHED at 5:50 on way to airplane
Flight cancelled at 6:20
Instructed to sit here for 6.5 more hours while I dry off......

Not the best start to my Friday. Then I read this and had a great laugh. Thanks, Dingeryote

They will smoke a little bit if you get them to run :D
Dont ask how Dad knows, lol

He was worried bout the ton worth of hamburger standing behind him.

just heard some guys joking about it the other day..... they didn't seem concerned that their saw was messed up, just thought it was really funny that the kid couldn't figure out for an hour why the saw wouldn't start.

:greenchainsaw: Im always careful when refilling. Especially if I feel even a little fatigued. Thats when its a quick break time for water and to look around and catch my bearings.

Come on fellas no AS member would mix up gas and oil tanks ...............

more than once or twice

Back