What has Stihl done to it's bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://m.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Oils-and-Lubricants/21101-1603/SynthPlus-Chain-Oil.aspx

Recently bought a bottle (5lt) of SynthPlus as they didn't have anything else left.

On the baby Solo with no oil adjustment it goes through 1 tank of oil to one tank of fuel!

After idling for a bit and then flicking the throttle you can see a huge snot of oil fly off.

I mean I assume it works but it seems to thin to me and that's middle of winter.

Cheers

Justin

Yeah, and a local dealer wants 16.98 for a platinum gallon jug. Ouch. Still slinging my last jug of $5 clearance green poulan bar oil. Can't tell a lick of difference from the old Stihl orange jug. Maybe a lil sluggish when cold, but I seldom cut when it's really cold.
In ozz $47.00 for synth plus 5 Litres thats oouuch stihl are mad:dizzy:

Been running 100% rapeseed for the last 4 years, much of it professionally, without any problems, rain or shine. It's about 4Euro a US gallon here; sometimes on sale for as little as 3Euro.

Poulan green jug for me, thick and tacky, but hard to find in my area. Yah, the 1 qt bottles abound. I'm going to have to try the black jug at TSC, it's an hour drive for me but when I'm that way...

I have used a fair quantity and have had no problems with the Poulan oil. Wally World used to have it pretty cheap. Tractor Supply has a better deal when theirs is on sale. Ron

I gotta start looking for a different bar oil to use. I've got 3 gallons of Stihl oil left, I'm going to try the TSC stuff.

About 5 years ago our dealer had the Stihl oil marked down wrong, $7 a gallon (at the time it was going for 11-12). I asked if the price was right, the guy said nope, it's marked wrong. He told me I better stock up because once I leave he's going to fix the price.

When I left he didn't have any oil left to adjust the price on.

Thanks for the heads up on the TSC sale Mike.
I'm not going to pay almost $20 a gallon for Stihl oil.

I just had an issue with too-thick TSC. I will thin it with kero to use it up, but I bought a gallon of Stihl Platinum to help figure out what the problem was. Fixed both saws right up. It was 16.98 just like the other poster. TSC was seven on seasonal closeout, can't remember maybe 1, 2, or even 3 years ago. A learning experience for sure. Even with adding kero it was still a bargain... Now that I know.

-HF

I got a few cases of the huskyvarmint stuff from Tractor Supply before the dumped husky. Since I only cut for myself now I'm set for quite a while.

I used to run the stihl orange (there is winter/summer), poulan (green gallon), and stihl bio-degradable for my sawmill so I could use the dust for mulch. All those worked well.

Thanks for the heads up on the quality of the new stihl orange.

P.S. I remember being young and poor and used filtered drain motor oil in the old homies, never had a bar/chain problem, but not something to do again unless desperate/SHTF. Clean motor oil works too.

Filtered? I was young and dumb and used old oil straight from the crankcase to the jug for many years. It sure was easy to tell that you were getting plenty of oil. I am still pretty dumb but older and better educated. Ron

If it is too thick I dilute the chain oil 1:5 with rapseed oil. Because the base oil is rapseed. No need to use mineral oil. That is usually more than enough.

Even Oregon recommends diluting the bar oil with kerosene or diesel fuel in really cold weather. I occasionally have used mixed fuel with success. In warm weather like now, I never thin the bar oil.

In very cold weather I have removed a flippy cap on saw and modified it to accept this insert. Then I strap a 12 car battery to my back and go to town! :rolleyes:

The Jabroni © Chain oil heater

C1207.jpg

Been running 100% rapeseed for the last 4 years, much of it professionally, without any problems, rain or shine. It's about 4Euro a US gallon here; sometimes on sale for as little as 3Euro.
Yup - I'm using 100% canola/rapeseed too. Seems to be fine. I'm buying the cheapest gallon jug at MalWart, although they've gone up to about $6 recently.

Back