What have you picked up from here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this site charged a fee, the information would still warrant comin here.

It gives me some renewed faith in the generosity and friendship of people, most of us don't even know each other, but there is some kind of community, and is what the internet was all about in the first place. The free flow of information.

3-a lot of ball busting goes on here, but there ain't a person here that wouldn't help you in a heartbeat.

I learned that Ball Busting is a great thing.

It lets you become friends with someone you normally wouldnt talk to!:hmm3grin2orange:

Seroiusly though, Ive learned through the generosity of others how much I want to help people.......

People with chainsaws.

Probably the #1 thing I learned was to thoughtfully plan your work. #2 would be to perform routine maintenance religiously. These have probably save me a great deal of money over the years.

I learned there's a lot of smart fellars in here and likely some of the nicest groups I've seen when it comes to offering advice and managing a nearly impossible feat of working out shims/washers for the Norther grinders.

Its a great place to learn!

1.chainsaws are addictive 2.chainsaws are like butchers knives ya can't have enough of em 3. ya learn some thing about chainsaws every day 4. chainsaws are addictive

1.chainsaws are addictive 2.chainsaws are like butchers knives ya can't have enough of em 3. ya learn some thing about chainsaws every day 4. chainsaws are addictive

Chainsaws aren't addictive...I'm not addicted...I can quit anytime..yes anytime I want I can quit...cold turkey...:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I've learned -and continue to learn- a great deal in my short time aboard. Who knew there was this saw-addicted sub-culture out there? I suppose it's rooted in the primeval urge to kill & dismember things for food, fire or self-defense. I bet the cave-dudes argued over who's axe was bigger/better/sharper too.

I found out that just one or two saws is not gonna cut the mustard: One needs a twigging saw, a limbing saw, a medium felling/bucking saw, a large felling/bucking saw, and a huge milling saw. Along with the saws will come an array of guide bars & chains to fill & overlap any gaps.

Also learned that when one finds a 'keeper' saw, an instinctive urge to buy another twin -or more than 1 extra- kicks in... just in case the manufacturer decides to drop that model from the lineup. It's like a crack habit, but more expensive.

Hmmm what else... Oh yeah, that it's perfectly acceptable to take a brand new / perfectly suitable machine, and modify it to make it 'better.' Even if better just means 'much louder.' (The neighborhood can sleep in tomorrow morning...)

Mainly have learned that there is a large group of great people scattered around the globe who haunt this site. Very willing to offer advice, pointers, and assistance. I'm glad to be a part of it!

Last edited:
I've learned my saws suck and I need a new one, I've learned I am poor, I've learned my ba:censored: ard wildthing screams after I modded the muffler :rock: , And I've learned you guys are a bad influence!!!!!!!

I used to see only orange and white, thanks to this site I've found that there are other makes of excellent saws. Also absorbed lots of tech knowledge and had some good technique discussions.
It was here that I first heard about a Big Shot. One of the coolest inventions since canned peaches.

I used to see only orange and white, thanks to this site I've found that there are other makes of excellent saws. Also absorbed lots of tech knowledge and had some good technique discussions.
It was here that I first heard about a Big Shot. One of the coolest inventions since canned peaches.

:hmm3grin2orange: Not too much info about four footed skidders on here, though.

Back