What I call a little too much pressure....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenDeuce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Replaced my Handvalve today so that I could add a washer to the bypass spring to get more pressure from 1500 to around 3K on the splitter so I could split some tough and bigger cookies.

Well, I thought I had popped a big Y, and instead, well, you'll see if you check the pic.

hehhe. opps!

Looks like that wedge wasnt welded down worth a crap t begin with. My splitter runs 3000 psi with a homemade wedge and its bolted down with 4 bolts. I have split wood for 3 years with it and it hasnt broken.

Replaced my Handvalve today so that I could add a washer to the bypass spring to get more pressure from 1500 to around 3K on the splitter so I could split some tough and bigger cookies.

Well, I thought I had popped a big Y, and instead, well, you'll see if you check the pic.

hehhe. opps!

did you make all the way to 3k or did it break at 1600psi?
LOVE that weld job...:hmm3grin2orange:

Need welding class

Your wedge was going to fall off anyway. Someone did a terrible job on the weld.

yeah, the whole thing was homebuilt. I got it last year from a customer. I didn't build any of the frame, including the wedge.

Todate I have replaced the engine 2x, finally setteling on a 7HP B&S, got a new 11gpm haldex pump, new hydraulic lines, resealed the 4.5inx20in ram and have just replaced the handvalve with a new-to-me one that I got at auction.

Don't know what PSI it popped at, but it did split a few big ones before this and got to just below 3K psi as it should. The weld job looks bad, obviously, so gonna re-weld it.

I was glad I got the pressure up, so once it's re-welded, I can take care of some bidnezz!:chainsawguy:

yeah, the whole thing was homebuilt. I got it last year from a customer. I didn't build any of the frame, including the wedge.

Todate I have replaced the engine 2x, finally setteling on a 7HP B&S, got a new 11gpm haldex pump, new hydraulic lines, resealed the 4.5inx20in ram and have just replaced the handvalve with a new-to-me one that I got at auction.

Don't know what PSI it popped at, but it did split a few big ones before this and got to just below 3K psi as it should. The weld job looks bad, obviously, so gonna re-weld it.

I was glad I got the pressure up, so once it's re-welded, I can take care of some bidnezz!:chainsawguy:

I guess they thought they had enough weld penetration.

:yoyo: :bowdown: :notrolls2: :givebeer: :chainsawguy: :cheers:

leon

nice weld

I understand the purpose for the lack of it they were thinking changeablilty I would suggest welding the wedge to a piece of 3/8s flat stock with some 1157 at about 75 amps with a reveresed polarity it will give a better penetration then bolt it down to the I beam so its easy to swap just leave a 3/4 in piece of the flat stock sticking out in front and put a bevel on that baby so the wood will ride up instead of snag. also make sure to use grade 8 bolts so you dont regret it later say in the 1/2 inch range.:chainsawguy:

Ha!

What is 1157 in reference to welding rod??

I would simply clean it up, and put it back together with 7018 Low-hy rod.

Whoever did that had no concept of what they were up against. Kinda looks like it was done with a wirefeed welder as well.

Check the rest of the welding on the machine!

-Pat

I ve-ed the base of my wedge out and filled it in with 7014 over several passes. It has passed the full load at the top of the wedge test a few times with no issues. Be sure to get the tip tied in good as that had the most stress on it.

Don

7014 is good cause it is a fast fill rod lays down nice and has a thick slag layer on top. 7018 is probably the best as far as welding on thicker or dirty metal I use it a lot on dirty pipe and plate. for clean metal I bevel and use my miller 251 and a couple passes. And your gonna need far more than 75 amps to get good penetration on that wedge I would say 120-150 at least.

yup

hehhe. opps!

piss poor welds, Fix and go forth,. Eric

ZOINKS!!! And just tacked to boot!!:jawdrop:

V that wedge, turn up yer heat, and schmoker on! Wire feed is fine if it's capabable of making enough heat for the thickness of the steel, obviously that one wasn't! Just make sure whoever welds it knows WTF they're doing as it could leave a mark the next time it flies off...

Back