What I found at the library

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was curious if they had any books on chainsaws at the library at our local technical college. Well, here's what I came home with.

Chainsaw Savvy-A Complete Guide by N. Soderstrom

Chain Saw Manual by American Pulpwood Association

Cut & Run-Loggin' Off the Big Woods by Mike Monte (no chainsaws, but a lot of history and photos of my area, plus the author is a pretty good guy too)

There's more to be read at the library too. I guess it pays to live in a logging area. Plus, there are a ton of books on forestry and forest management which I hope to sample.

I enjoyed Dent's book, and my goal was to find anything comparable out there, especially from the opposite coast perspective or about cutting big hardwoods.

I agree, it is excellent. It is PNW oriented, which is fine, there are some techniques that I've seen local loggers use that aren't covered in the book. siLogger has posted some good photos in the past that show what I mean better than I could explain it. There are some techniques specific to big hardwoods and I'm curious if any author has documented them.

As far as the books I checked out, "Chain Saw Manual" is only about 90 pages. Excellent overview, but it's impossible to get into great detail with that amount of space.

"Chainsaw Savvy" is also very good. There are several photos of "Daniel Tilton, instructor in Scandanavian cutting techniques". I was not familiar with the guy before picking up the book. He used several little Jonsereds with about 14 inch bars to dismantle some very large trees. I had heard of these techniques, but it was nice to see the photos and explanations.

"Cut and Run" had a lot of great old photos. Great explanation of how much fun a barber chair was when you had to make your backcut with a crosscut saw. I finally realized why my Grandpa liked chainsaws so much, he started out in the woods running a crosscut with his friend.

Latest posts

Back