What I like about cutting Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I thought most insects were our friends--they drink the sap water and dry the wood out faster. This year they turned on me and produced bites that itched like h__l and needed attention by prescription creams. Most of the bites were at the ankles. The bugs went right through my jeans and thick socks, ignoring all sprays, including deet. Your mud daubers are in the same league as the crawlers that got me. They both make mosquitoes look like child's play.

It isn't that bad. I have to load about 2x as often as I do Locust. Since it is available for free only a few miles from the house, makes up easy, etc. it beats any other type of wood available here in E Washington. Only other choice is a 100 mile roundtrip into the mountains, or buy loads of logs. I heated the house for over 30 years with straight willow.

Harry K

You think it's better than Doug Fir or Larch? The little of it I've burned didn't seem better.

Harry, I decided to revive this thread, primarily because I had about four loads of willow rounds almost handed to me. All I had to do was cut them to length, load, haul, etc. I doubt I would have dropped the trees.

These trees were different--some sort of hybrid--and they seemed tall. The bark was thinner than willow and looked more like basswood, but the leaf was skinny and stranded like willow leaves. I was just wondering if anyone here ever heard of a hybrid willow tree and what they usually cross it with. Looks like it will split OK.

Poplar is a hybrid willow, typically cross-bred for specific characteristics. It sounds like Poplar you were dealing with.

You think it's better than Doug Fir or Larch? The little of it I've burned didn't seem better.

NO, I didn't say that. It is better in one way though, My cost per x number of BTU is cheaper burning willow than it is burning fir or larch. It doesn't cost near as much in time, gas, wear and tear on the truck etc to drive a few miles from the house and come back with 3/4 cord willow as opposed to a 100 or more mile roundtrip to the mountains. Yes, I have to cut a bit more (not all that much more) willow vice fir or larch but cost per btu comes out cheaper.

Would I burn willow if I could get better wood at the same cost? No but I probably would still use some for shoulder seasons, fire pits, etc.

Harry K

NO, I didn't say that. It is better in one way though, My cost per x number of BTU is cheaper burning willow than it is burning fir or larch. It doesn't cost near as much in time, gas, wear and tear on the truck etc to drive a few miles from the house and come back with 3/4 cord willow as opposed to a 100 or more mile roundtrip to the mountains. Yes, I have to cut a bit more (not all that much more) willow vice fir or larch but cost per btu comes out cheaper.

Would I burn willow if I could get better wood at the same cost? No but I probably would still use some for shoulder seasons, fire pits, etc.

Harry K

That makes a lot of sense, for me Doug Fir and larch is a 10-12 mile drive so the time and gas isn't substantially different.

Back