What in the world is wrong with me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to a consignment sale today and wouldn't you know it another saw followed me home.

A poor ole dirty McCulloch Eager Beaver. Rope was broken on it and they had a hard time getting a bid on it.

I don't even like these things, I had a mint PM605 and got rid of it. It has a good bar and chain on it so it's worth what I gave for it.

Going to look it over later.

i always get the 'you've inhaled too much exhaust fumes throughout you life' response when i do something like that:clap: cool! i wanna inhale more!
they're not a terrible saw.

That's not a reason, it's another symptom.

well ok, it might be a reason ;-)

How about this rash, is it a symptom too? :)

Went out and put a rope in it, refueled it after dumping the smelly old gas out and it fired in 6 pulls.

Smoothed out after a minute or two and acutally runs like new. Made a mess on the floor with all the crud that came falling out and off of it. LOL

The crappy impulse oiler works too.

Good thing I didn't try it out in any wood yet as I noticed one tie stap on the chain had only 1 rivet spun on it.

All in all not a bad deal, I guess it can keep the couple other yellow ones company till I figure out what to do with it. (I still don't care for these much)

How come everytime I look at it, the song, "Fat Bottom Girls" goes through my head.........

Mark, the loopy firewood haulers around believe in that saw like a religion. I say that there's nothing wrong with you, you just have good "instincts." You'll prolly make a little coin off that saw if you sell it to the right fellow.

I got some time to look into the fat bottomed Mac a little closer. I'll say one thing for this series of saws, there good easy starters.

Crappy impulse oiler that I thought was working didn't as good as first thought. . It had a newer line on it but it was too big a dia, and they had a Oregon style FUEL filter on it for a strainer! No wonder it wouldn't put out much.

Of course when I went to fish out the filter the oversized line pulled right off the nipple. It took a hour and 4 beers to disassemble it to put a new line and a brass strainer on it. It's all good to go now.

Anyone know where to find some loopy firewood haulers, looking for there fat bottomed dream saw? :dizzy:

I'm sure I'll take some crap for it, but have you run the saw yet? These things run surprisingly well for their age, a bit heavy, though.

.....And ugly, so don't let your buddies see you!

I'm sure I'll take some crap for it, but have you run the saw yet? These things run surprisingly well for their age, a bit heavy, though.

.....And ugly, so don't let your buddies see you!

Fat and ugly!

Yep I ran it today, ran my uncles 610 last winter , used to have a 605. Never said there not good saws, there some of the best starters I have seen. Slow cutters though.

When checking spark on it today with my tester I was surprised how slow you could pull it over and still get a spark out of it.

Probably why they start so well besides the fact that it has about 170 psi comp. I'm sure there dependable and can cut alot of firewood.

mod-mark. my dad used to have one of those saws. from the early-mid eighties. is that round bout the era yours is from? never let him down, and heated the house with it.

i think they re-used that name later on a worse version, did they not?

Last edited:
If I had to guess I'd say the 3.7 Eager Beaver was mid to late 80's.

Mac had a 33cc Eager Beaver also and when I seen Eager Beaver on the sale bill thats what I was expecting to see. Had it been one of them theres no way I would have brought it home.

McCulloch as far as I know renamed the same saw more then once or they made a small change and called it a new model name.

Did your dads saw look like this?

pretty sure it was a top handle. that would make it one of the little beavers i guess. i used that saw once (supervised) when i was 9 or 10 years old. bucked a good size oak with it. i think it had a 16"bar. acres site showed one like that. hard to say if that was it. fuzzy memories, too much beer/wine in my youth!

the old man had to go out and buy another saw. he got a used homey xl-somethin. before he left my mom reminded him he already had a saw. his response: "i can't go in to the woods with that little thing, they will all laugh at me".

Latest posts

Back