What in the????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
Reaction score
http://www.agrivideos.com/forestry/2057/extreme-tree-cutting-accident

Sorry if this is a repost but I just came across this one and have been having a hard time figuring out what actually happened here. One thing I know is the guy getting tossed got very lucky twice! Once when he barely missed the falling block, and again when he didn't lawn dart head first into the tree on the first pass. Don't know his injuries but either of the above scenarios would have been game over. Any guesses as to what the plan was here? I can't figure out if he was tied to the block to begin with or somehow became entangled in the rope?!?!

The slo-mo shows the guy from the right getting yanked up into the tree, then falls.

Not gonna lie. I had a cocky groundie that was about 6'5, 240 easy. Always wrapping the rope around his wrist or waist. We were negative blocking, down to about 30', and he wouldn't stop putting the bull rope around his waist. I had him back up about 50' to make sure this scenario didn't happen, and then shoved about a 100# piece off and watched it drag him face first across the yard about 20'. Tough love, but it broke the habit.

Looks like he was pulling the piece over and got tangled up in the tag line and the piece went the wrong way with the tag line going over some stubs.
I believe that's exactly what happened. Had a bull line in the top to pull it over, went backwards on them and hooked over a stub. Essentially turning this whole disaster into a negative rig scenario. Probably saved that climbers life though. He would have been in a world of hurt if that rope hadn't caught, I'd bet.
Not gonna lie. I had a cocky groundie that was about 6'5, 240 easy. Always wrapping the rope around his wrist or waist. We were negative blocking, down to about 30', and he wouldn't stop putting the bull rope around his waist. I had him back up about 50' to make sure this scenario didn't happen, and then shoved about a 100# piece off and watched it drag him face first across the yard about 20'. Tough love, but it broke the habit.
That's sort of a ******* thing to do, regardless of how much of a monkey that guy was. :nofunny:

Latest posts

Back