What is all this 1/2, 3/4 and full wrap stuff all about?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benelli7d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm still new and stupid, so I'll ask. I've searched the threads for answers but only find references to this wrap stuff when talking about folks' saws. Seems to me it's just a wrapped handle but I hear folks say it gets in the way of stuff and I've seen them offered for $60 bucks or so. I don't get it? Why can't ya just wrap your own handle and save $60? What am I missing here?

No, it is not a “wrapped “ handlebar in the sense of wrapping your tennis racquet grip or road bike handlebars. It is a handlebar that wraps around the powerhead and allows the non-throttle hand to be positioned on the right or left of the powerhead, as you might wish if you were cutting on a steep slope that required you to cut from the offhand side of the tree.

See, for example:

https://www.baileysonline.com/stihl-oem-3-4-wrap-handlebar-for-046-ms-460-chainsaws.html
https://www.sawagain.com/dolmar-ps-...insaw-full-wrap-handle-bar-new-oem-038310115/

I'm still new and stupid, so I'll ask. I've searched the threads for answers but only find references to this wrap stuff when talking about folks' saws. Seems to me it's just a wrapped handle but I hear folks say it gets in the way of stuff and I've seen them offered for $60 bucks or so. I don't get it? Why can't ya just wrap your own handle and save $60? What am I missing here?
Keep asking questions, you might get a little ribbing from some of the old timers but don’t let that dissuade you. We all started from scratch at one point:)

Boise area?

I tend to feel smarter when taking a 5 year break from this place or when getting banned from it. Also tend to waste less money on saw stuff I rarely use.

Thought getting back into dirt bikes was smart. 15 grand later im elbo deep in a kx450 motor refresh.

Spend all my time playing in the dirt and snow.

Saw Hobby was probly smarter

ALL chainsaws have a wrapped handle for tipping the saw vertically. The PRO saws have a FULL wrap handle so as to operate a larger, heavier machine, and in multiple positions, while safely holding on to the handle, which wraps around, therefore, "full-wrap".

The 3/4 wrap lives at Mar-o-lago.

Shots fired!

Although you're right. Just put an offer on a place in Idaho this week, fingers crossed.
I hope you're successful with your bid. I was born just north of Portland and thank my lucky stars that my folks left that place before it devolved into the mess it is today. Good luck to you in your escape attempt.

ALL chainsaws have a wrapped handle for tipping the saw vertically. The PRO saws have a FULL wrap handle so as to operate a larger, heavier machine, and in multiple positions, while safely holding on to the handle, which wraps around, therefore, "full-wrap".

The 3/4 wrap lives at Mar-o-lago.
so your a dedicated left swinger???

Each has its own advantages/disadvantages. A full wrap makes it impossible to cut a stump off flush, but as was mentioned earlier gives more control on steep ground. I think I could see where a full wrap would be quite awkward for bucking as well. I know this is being posted as a fight is ongoing, but maybe you will read it.

I agree with Bubster. Several loggers asked me a few years back to install full-wraps after they damaged their outer handles on Stihl MS 660 Magnums. I did as told. They later regretted it because they could not cut stumps off flush, and with big trees, that cost them some bread at the sawmill.

I only have a full wrap on one saw, but I'm also not a logger or even an arborist. To me, the full wrap is helpful when felling with a bigger saw and a longer bar. It allows me to position the saw where it needs to be depending on the satiation, instead of normally having the flywheel up and the clutch and bar on the bottom. I've used that saw for bucking also, and not really had any issues with it. Cutting a stump flush with the ground is out of the question though.

Latest posts

Back