what is the best method to determine side/front/back lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy's dad said he had never been stuck in the snow. Then I walked in the kitchen and his mom whispered, "If it snows, he calls out from work ,and doesn't get off the couch till it quits snowing." Maybe it's the same theory? If you have a big tree leaning 45* in the wrong direction, with a full canopy, no amount of wedges and a perfect notch will over come gravity and pick that tree up. Even if you have a 4" hinge, the hinge will fail and the tree will go in the direction of the lean. A pull line high up can pull it over, maybe. But, not just notches and wedges. I'm not a PNW'er either. I'm a Mid Atlantic native, 4th generation tree care, licensed MD tree expert, retired. In the past 40 years I have seen 2 or 3 contractors put a big track loader down hill on a big leaning tree thinking they could push it over, and the notch and hinge failed and the tree pivoted on the bucket and fell back over the machine. luckly no one was ever hurt, Joe.

Question fior ya. Is your's an actual come-along, or a chain hoist? Reason I ask is that a lot of chain hoist manufacturers say not to use them to pull sideways, only up/down. Just curious...

I have 100 ft of 3/8 logging chain, a racheting 6 ton chain come along, and if I can find a stump/tree for an anchor, you CAN make things go the wrong(right) way. But you still need to be careful

i guess only the guys out there on the west coast know how to fall a tree huh. i log timber in the mountains of east tn and the west coast way is not the right way here for me period... so why is it that every time an east coast timber faller has something to say about how to cut the guys out west have to stick there chest out and talk about there giant timber and how its done. i stick 100% by my first post and i dont need to carry around all the toys and tools that some folks do to get my job done.i dont get on this site to have to argue with tools and know it alls so you can leave me out of your bull sh it. ive cut timber for production for over 20 yrs and dont care if you think your better than i am. i get the job done safely and in a timely manner and without a dam plumb bob or level.

I don't really have a dog in this fight....................BUT..................You do realize that you are doing the same thing you're accusing the left coaster's of, don't you?
If you've survived cutting timber for production for over 20 years and are unwilling or incapable of learning anything new then you are more than likely beyond help.
Personally, I've been in this for over 25 years, and I seem to learn something new every day. Either by experience, or from listening to others. But then again I'm not the faller extrordinare.

Andy

I used a .45 cal rifle bullet on a cord for many years, plumbs have an essential place in your kit, wouldn't be without one. They really help in very tall timber and I have also used a plumb when bucking large diameter logs.

Latest posts

Back