What is this Vine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In SE Louisiana along the Bogue Falaya river. View attachment 307033
View attachment 307034

Mixed cypress, iron wood, black gum swamp habitat. There is a good bit of Virginia Creeper, Trumpet Vine, and Poison Ivy on a lot of the trees, but this stuff is dominant over all the above in this one little section of swamp. I am going to kill it before it gets in the canopies of the cypress. It has already killed some black gum and Iron Wood. But there are some goats on the property, would like to be sure it is not toxic to them before I drop it on the ground where they can reach it.

Last edited:
Still a Mystery?

45 views on the post as of tonight and no one has a suggestion on what this is? Small, yellow/green, tubular flower, blooming in profusion, here is a closer look at the leaf:
View attachment 307179

The first picture in the original post is of the flowers, although it is a little too distant for the best detail. I will be back out there tomorrow and I will try to get a close up of the flowers. They are very tubular, mostly green with some yellow, smaller than the Japanese or Coral honeysuckles I am familiar with and not as open. The leaves are also much larger and a different shape than the honeysuckles I am familiar with, but since there are about 180 species of honeysuckle it could possibly be one I don't recognize.

Did you attempt to enlarge the first photo for a better look at the flowers? My iPad shows them pretty clearly if I tap on the pict to enlarge it.

Thanks for responding to the post!

Looks more like poison ivy leaves than honey suckle, but the flowers have me stumped.

Pull a few flowers and drink the nectar, let us know what kind of steroids they give you at the Hospital.

Or just wait on a better answer,

Closeups of the Flowers

This stuff is all over these trees, and has killed several. Thought sure some of you guys would recognize it. Here are some better picts. Flowers, bottoms of the leaves (matt finish), tops of the leaves (glossy finish).

Hmmmmm. I wonder if it could be some variety of morning glory, but already bloomed out so that what I am thinking is the flower is just the leftover calyx and seed pod after the petals have fallen from the bloom. Do morning glories bloom all summer, or do they just all bloom at once then all go to seed at the same time?

If these are morning glory, they would have been some kinda pretty a few weeks ago.

Another, closer pict of what I am calling the "Flower".
View attachment 307847

Nope. Don't think so. After reading your link:

"Identifying bindweed can be tricky. Its arrow-shaped leaves grow opposite each other along each stem. When juvenile stems are broken, they exude a milky sap. The flowers are white to pink and trumpet shaped, and produced indeterminately throughout the year."

Whatever this is it bloomed all at one time, not indeterminately through the year. Whether or not what I am seing is just the calyx, the vine bloomed all at once. And, these leaves look more alternate than opposite, and there is no trace of milky sap.

One more hint- the flowers or seed pods, whatever they may be, have no odor. I think the flower of a honeysuckle or jasmine would have a sweet odor.

Probably Redvine

Sent pictures to LSU Agricultural Extension. Dr.s Bobby Fletcher and Ron Strahan believe it to be Redvine, Brunichia ovata.

Redvine

I had not noticed the red tint to some (not all) of the tendrils, but when I went back to look, sure enough. Pretty sure this mystery has been solved.

Back