What is with all the straight gassing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most common excuse for a straight gas run is that cans of both mixed fuel and straight gas were brought to the work site. The cans look too much alike and somehow get mixed up. The 4-cycle engine, usually on the log splitter, runs fine on fuel from either can. The chain saw burns out on the straight gas.
Had a coworker buddy completely forget 4 mixes take mix gas, he put plain gas in the br600 and it died rapidly. He asked me to get it going I just pulled the cord and laughed because it locked up solid.

Heres one for the record book.Back in the early nineties I was and still am a union electrician .
International Falls Mn and Fort Frances Ontario are sister cities seperated by a bridge.I was working on a major paper mill expansion on the Canadian side but most of us stayed on the USA side.A guy who shall remain name less was taking orders for guys Christmass booze.He would smuggle it back in 5 gallon gas cans.
The boss told a young apprentice to get the chain saw and cut up some timbers.The boss knew I had a lot of chain saw experience he came and told me the kid had saw trouble I asked the kid what did you do.He said the saw started but after a couple a minutes it ran out of gas and he could not get it to start.
I pulled the plug it was wet tried for spark it was good I thought flooded big time pulled it over with throttle locked put plug back in no start.I pulled the plug and it looked watery I dumped the tank and the smell hit me good old Jack Daniels .the kid had filled it with a whiskey gas can he still gets teased once in awhile.
Kash

Heres one for the record book.Back in the early nineties I was and still am a union electrician .
International Falls Mn and Fort Frances Ontario are sister cities seperated by a bridge.I was working on a major paper mill expansion on the Canadian side but most of us stayed on the USA side.A guy who shall remain name less was taking orders for guys Christmass booze.He would smuggle it back in 5 gallon gas cans.
The boss told a young apprentice to get the chain saw and cut up some timbers.The boss knew I had a lot of chain saw experience he came and told me the kid had saw trouble I asked the kid what did you do.He said the saw started but after a couple a minutes it ran out of gas and he could not get it to start.
I pulled the plug it was wet tried for spark it was good I thought flooded big time pulled it over with throttle locked put plug back in no start.I pulled the plug and it looked watery I dumped the tank and the smell hit me good old Jack Daniels .the kid had filled it with a whiskey gas can he still gets teased once in awhile.
Kash
Now that`s just alcohol abuse!..LOL

It pours fuel to 2T only from the transparent one Canister So that you can see the color.

Straight gassing is fairly simple and easy to do for the uninformed. But it's far more embarrassing to admit it on a saw forum among the more experienced users therefore it's almost always...'my neighbour....', 'my brother in-law...', 'the guy down the street' etc etc. Very rarely will someone start a thread where they openly state, 'Well today I straight gassed this saw'. It's almost always someone else's fault.

When you point your finger at someone, the other three are pointing at each other ;-)

Rather interesting that two of the best saws I own were acquired from owners who straight gassed them to death and could not afford to pay a dealer to rebuild the engine. They gave the saws to me rather than sell them and I rebuilt the top ends: Stihl MS441 cm and a Makita 6401 that I rebuilt with a big bore kit about ten years ago. Both saws are running fine today. I must admit that it took me twice as much time to rebuild the Stihl than the Makita -- modern technology at work.

I dont know how they do it either. Its not that hard to premix it.
Way off topic, my apology.
PLMCRZY, I noticed your screen name and thought that you might appreciate this
70A337B6-10C9-41C5-9708-C68694643427.jpeg

She is a 1968 Stevens 17’ SK class hull with 3+3 recreational seating, powered by a Corvette Spec’d 327, turning a prop through a V Drive.

We drove from Portland, OR to Gardena, CA two weeks before my 3rd Birthday, and picked her up at the factory. My Mom is the Original Owner.

On Father’s Day 2020, my Mom gave me the Best Father’s Day Gift, I could have asked for. She walked up and handed me a plain white envelope, when I opened it, I stood there speechless, it was the title for “Plum Crazy “and her trailer, I didn’t see that coming, but it sure put a Smile on my face, when I could actually process what I was holding

Anyhow sorry about the highjack, thought you might like this
Doug

I been mixing 2t since I was 8 yo for my rupp go kart.

I have cases of tru fuel for my tractors and cases of husky 50:1 mix. My misses consolidated the open boxes into one. She mixed up the fuels, thank god my son caught it. He was rippin.

I straight gassed a Yamaha RD350 long time ago indirectly.Ran out of injection lube in the tank. I could feel the engine tightening up, let it cool off, started it back up and gingerly rode home several miles on straight gas.Ran it for years afterward before replacing pistons.Started premixing shortly after as the injection pump would not self prime if there was any air in the lines.Tough little screamers and capable of much teen abuse.

Another story,a girl at work asked me about what could be wrong with her new string trimmer.Said it just quit.I jokingly asked her if she mixed oil in the gas for the trimmer, she looked at me with amazement and guilt, and asked me if the oil was necessary,LOL. I showed her what a straight gassed piston looks like,why it needs to be replaced, and the first question was "can you fix it for me?"

I have a dedicated one gallon can that I mix my 2 stroke gas in. It's the one and only can I use for mixed gas. No gas goes in that can without 2 stroke oil and no 2 stroke motor is fueled with any other can. I only mix a gallon at a time and no 2 stroke tool is fueled from any other can. Never strait gassed anything 2 stroke. Pretty simple concept.

Same here. I don't trust my memory, and I was scarred by straight gas stories years ago.

My procedure:

Take can and oil to gas station
Pump half gallon
Pour oil in
Pump other half gallon
Replace cap, shake can
Worry
Drive home
Shake can
Fuel saw; eye fuel suspiciously; worry
Start saw; enjoy oily stench
Worry.