What is your BIG 3 in firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Oak, Choke Cherry, and swamp Maple. Have always had good heat, long burns. Worst: Cottonwood, (found out by accident) and Black Sweetgum... Pain to trim and buck... ok to burn.

Cottonwood, spruce, scrub oak

The first 2 suck, but you can have it in abundance.

Love to burn..
Ash
Cherry
Any Maple

Would rather not burn..
Piss Elm
Cotton wood
Tulip Poplar

BUT....If had times get tough...Ill burn any wood !!

Around here, it's Hedge, Locust, and Oak. Fortunately, those three are in ample supply. As are virtually every other valuable firewood species. Missouri has been cruel this winter, but our resources are plentiful. I see people in other regions who rely on Maple, Pine and the like and feel for them. Around here, that wood is usually pushed into a pile with a dozer and left for nature, or made into a bonfire.

Edit: I couldn't give away cottonwood or piss elm; it's viewed as having zero value as firewood.

Last edited:
Bitternut Hickory, Beech and ash would be my pick for best.

Worst would be Cottonwood, Catalpa and.........this locust

MVC-001F_2.JPG

MVC-002F_2.JPG

Dang it Kevin, you beat me to it! I believe that's Honey Locust. I have no idea how you'd handle it to split it.

There's an abundance of Oak (Red, White and Pin) and Sugar Maple around here. I don't hate any wood, but have found that Cottonwood, Tulip Poplar and Catalpa are at the very bottom of the list. EAB is hitting any Ash around here hard.

Bitternut Hickory, Beech and ash would be my pick for best.

Worst would be Cottonwood, Catalpa and.........this locust

MVC-001F_2.JPG

MVC-002F_2.JPG
I have several like that in my woods. I started ringing them about 5-6 yrs. ago. It takes about that long for all the bark & thorns to fall off. I then cut them down. It is still heavy & solid as can be when I load it. My advantage is I have the ability to wait that long.

my perfect mix is 40% white ash 40% pin oak 20% black locust. the only thing I wont take is tulip, for some reason I get mad when I see it, I hate splitting it and wont even burn it in my firepit

Love to burn..
Ash
Cherry
Any Maple

Would rather not burn..
Piss Elm
Cotton wood
Tulip Poplar

BUT....If had times get tough...Ill burn any wood !!

Glad to see another vote for cherry, as it is my favorite to burn. Suprised more folks do not like it.............

i like cherry and have some but I sell it on the roadside because fireplace burners like it and buy it up

Latest posts

Back