What is your ideal truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1997 Suburban 4x4: Perfect Truck

this is the perfect truck:

1. i hook up the trailer and use it to load firewood, haul motorcyles (3 at a time) and atvs.
2. i can seat up to 6 or 7 comfortably, and 8 uncomfortably
3. i get 12-14 mpg around town, and 14 mpg on the highway
4. i have 231,000 miles and have never rebuilt/overhauled the engine or transmission (praise God!)
5. i can use the luggage rack on top, storage area in back, and pull trailer and we can go on a two week camping trip and take changes of clothes, bicycles, tents, chainsaw (of course) and all camping gear for a family of 5
6. i stick it in 4x4 and pull out passenger vehicles
7. Most important, since early 2000 I have had it entirely paid off and the insurance is cheap (liability only) and taxes and tags get cheaper each year.
8. I'm thinking of buying a wrecked one (if I could find a place to store it) and dropping the engine and transmission into this body when this engine/trans go bad.
9. Believe it or not, when it is washed, waxed and cleaned up it really looks good.

I also have my perfect truck. I'm at 218k miles as of yesterday and no major work. engine runs quite, no oil leaks/useage, and no work on trans to date. Also original u-joints and exhaust. I keep the u-joints lubed up everytime i change my oil. The only time I really use the 4x4 is when duck hunting as seen in these pics and going to my cabin. Other than that, I drive my company car. I realize the pics don't show it, but I have taken very good care of my truck. It's a 1996 and still looks great! This is kind of my hunting rig now, I recently bought my wife an 03' Accord, So at the moment, I have 32 x 11.50 x 15 mud tires on that get me everywhere i need to go. I still don't have a four wheeler, Guess I don't really need one.

I forgot to mention even w/ the oversized mud tires I get 19.5 mpg. If it were'nt for that and the fact that I can haul stuff, I would own an old CJ-7.
Oh well, one of these days.

stihlatit said:
A Suburban is classed as a truck. All vans are also classed as trucks. JP

Arnie
Not by truck driving folks it's not. My wife's "car" is a Suburban. My "truck' is an International.

brian660 said:
dont know if its my dream truck but I love it and i`ll probably never sell it, i`d lose my shirt if I did :dizzy:

98.5 quad cab shorty 12 valve 4x4 with a manual , ported head, pdr cam,ats manifold, pdr 370 sticks, b1/s400 twins, arp studs, 215 pump, FASS, custom DP into 6 inch stacks, haisley DD clutch, nv5600 with the big shafts, 6 inch lift, 37 inch bfg`s on weld wheels.
Well Brian here speaks my language. :D

We had over 70 trucks and 100 sign-ins today at our TDR meeting. Yeehaw!

Dream Truck

I'm driving my dream truck.

'99 F350 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel.
Lightly Hot Rodded. I also hang out over at TheDieselStop by the same name.

Sorry I missed that one. I had a 1964 Chevy Impala station wagon that was as big as a Suburban is today. Hench, Suburban is a car.

jp hallman said:
Sorry I missed that one. I had a 1964 Chevy Impala station wagon that was as big as a Suburban is today. Hench, Suburban is a car.

Impala was a car. Older suburbans are classed as LT or light truck. Then for marketing purposes they came up with the SUV which it and its sibling the Yukon are classed now. It's not a car.

Arnie

Ya' know...if they made a 1964 Impala Station wagon 4x4...it would be more of a truck than a newer Suburban. But they'd both still be cars.

stihlatit said:
I edited my last post please go back and see the facts if you would like a second opinion call a dealer and they will set you straight. Nuff said.

Arnie
Nuff said my arse. The dealers might have you Canadians fooled. Here in the United States of America a truck is a truck and a Suburban is a car. Trucks work, cars haul people. SUV is a mindset. Get with the program young buck.

jp hallman said:
Nuff said my arse. The dealers might have you Canadians fooled. Here in the United States of America a truck is a truck and a Suburban is a car. Trucks work, cars haul people. SUV is a mindset. Get with the program young buck.
BS. Suburbans are considered trucks by all here that I know of. Regardless, whatever you choose to call it does not change the object in any way. In fact, they make 1 ton Suburbans. I've seen a few with dual wheels. I bet the "truck" you drive is a Volvo. :laugh:

jp hallman said:

I am ten years your senior and have spent my whole working life in auto as a union official. I just checked on a american dealer site and it is as I said. Stick to trees, make your logs and be a good little boy and stay out of auto. I know this will put steam in your ears so enjoy the heat sonny.

Arnie

Back