What is your primary use mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary use mill?

• Mini mill or similar

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Small log mill or similar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alaskan

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Single Beam or Rail mill

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Double Beam or Rail mill

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Band Mill

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Swing Mill

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post details)

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We don't have many polls on this forum but something that has been getting harder for me to gauge is what our overall milling profile is really like. I know there are a lot of lurkers reading this forum out there and I want to encourage them to register on the poll.

It doesn't matter how many mills you own, just tell us which type of mill you mainly use. If you are in the "Other" category you may want to post what type it is. I have two more options left on this poll so if you want me to add a category in that you think is missing just let me know asap.

By single beam or rail mill I specially mean a chainsaw based rail mill where the CS is held only at the saw end, like a Logosol.

By double beam or rail mill I specially mean a chainsaw carriage mill or chainsaw based rail mill that is held at both ends of the bar, like a Procut mill.

Poll closes in 28 days - maybe we can do a poll each year to see how choices evolve over time

Last edited:
Right now, I just use the Alaskan but I just got the plans for the Procut Chainsaw Mill 2 days ago so soon my pick will be "other".

Right now, I just use the Alaskan but I just got the plans for the Procut Chainsaw Mill 2 days ago so soon my pick will be "other".

The procut is a double rail mill - well that's how I would classify it anyway - it runs on two rails. Then again so is a lucas so I will slight edit the choice descriptions in my first post.

Last edited:
band mill...

I was going to buy an Alaskan but I could not get over the gas and waste factors....glad I got the band mill. Heck of a lot faster too.

:agree2: Same story for me. I badly want a 24" Alaskan to use for slabbing to complement my 33" that I use for squaring and canting. It's way too big if I'm cutting narrower lumber and is just more work than necessary. It also makes things so much faster when you don't have to keep stopping to switch saws or even depths as often.

Last edited:
:agree: Same story for me. I badly want a 24" Alaskan to use for slabbing to complement my 33" that I use for squaring and canting. It's way too big if I'm cutting narrower lumber and is just more work than necessary. It also makes things so much faster when you don't have to keep stopping to switch saws or even depths as often.

I haven't cut too many boards but this is where my 24" mill with the 441 or 660 and 050 lopro 25" bar/chain is going to be put to work. It's a really nice combo for <18" cuts and doesn't waste as much wood.
attachment.php

36" Cleereman carriage(with on board log tunners), Mellot No.5 log tunner, 150hp Cleereman feedworks,56" Simonds 6-7 saws at the arbor 200hp spun at 625rpm with Simonds F8 supers and 7/32long Chromers .

Bob, you'll REALLY like how a 660 cuts with that lowpro chain. Of course, with the hardness of your woods, I can't guarantee its durability (both cutter and driver). It doesn't hold an edge nearly as long as even regular semi-chisel 3/8" .050 chain, in my experience anyway, and I've only used it in softwoods and green Birch, which is about the same hardness as dry Douglas Fir.

I'll probably end up building my own smaller mill this year too. It's not that complicated and it's much cheaper that way too; not to mention I can include some things that Granberg has overlooked, much like yours.

I have a circular mill. I would think a category on circular mill would be good on the poll quite a few around. I used to have a band mill.

I have a circular mill. I would think a category on circular mill would be good on the poll quite a few around. I used to have a band mill.

Thanks for posting.
Do you mean a fixed bench circular?

If so, let's put that in "other" for now and I'll revise the list depending on how many we get.

I'd also like to again encourage the lurkers to vote if they have a mill.

For me its a procut style that is homemade with the 088, to be a bandmill in a few weeks:clap:

Ok, I'll play. :)
I've got a band mill that I built several years ago. I built it from scratch from a lot of new steel, some used steel, a bunch of used parts, and a few new parts. It's running 1 1/2" blades 14' 4" long on 20" sheaves, pulled by a 1600cc VW engine. Maximum log size without trimming is 32", and the head is hydraulicly driven.

Andy

Back