What kind of a sick person....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i too was outside this saturday cutting wood, i didn't split any but i was cutting it down and hauling it out with some friends for a friend.
i didn't really get cold, but my friends wife had food and soda for us all, and that was the hardest coke ive ever tried to drink. lips stuck to the can as well but i didn't have an inside to get in. i had to blow on it to warm it up. didn't feel to great but thats life.
we got 3 1/2 cord cut and hauled home, not a bad day.

It was Minus -22f this morning here. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and it is always money in the bank to NOT run equipment when it gets below about minus -15f. You are just asking for something mechanical to break down.

If it was blue then it would have been oil.

Something happened to the carburetor. Probably not a big problem.

I have also been known to split on really cold days. When the wood is frozen it pops really nicely.

My splitter lives inside during the winter, so starting isn't a issue.

-Pat

Well, I put it inside and warmed it up. Started right off when I hit the button.
Near as I can figure, the breather must have frozen up and shot oil into the carb. Too cold to keep the condensation out of the oil. Ran it for 2 hours today(+15 degrees) with no problem. Lucky day for me! Finished all of this year's splitting.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I never like to split wood in the summer until it's above 90 degrees !!!!!

Basso

I like cold weather about as much as I would like touching myself inappropriately while wearing a barbed wire mitten. :cheers:

BUT......you live in Maine?!?!?!? That is why I live in Az now.....LMAO.

P.S. It is feaken cold here now:dizzy:

goes out and splits wood in -15F with 30 mph. wind? I guess it is me! It took over an hour to warm the splitter up enough to start it. I used a 600w halogen lamp and a battery charger. I run synthetic oil, so it spins pretty nice, but I even had to heat the spark plug to get it to fire.

So, after I let it warm up for 15 minutes, I started splitting my 22-24" oak and ash. Ran it for about 1.5 hours and went inside when I got real cold. Finally, I was in the middle of a log and the motor started belching black smoke and ran rough,:cry: then I shut it off. It wouldn't start after that. Just a bit of popping.
Checked compression and it is at about 100 lbs. Looked like oil on the spark plug. It is a very old 8 hp. briggs(30-40 years) with electric start, so I think I will try to fix since they were made decent back then.

Moral of the story....do something else when it is that freaking cold out!
I don't think your sick at all,I just came back from my Honey Moon.
Going from +25c to -40c is a shock to my system but to tell you the truth I missed my wood pile! Got the battery blanket ready to wrap around my splitter and get to to work tomorrow. Actually it's -31 with a wind chill of -43 so it's all in my mind I keep telling myself:)

I was raking leaves the other day. After I put the rake up, I took the shovel to the driveway.

BUT......you live in Maine?!?!?!? That is why I live in Az now.....LMAO.

P.S. It is feaken cold here now:dizzy:

I was born and raised in Maine...no choice there.

Now I have one reason for staying in Maine, my parents are both elderly and it is my time to take of them. If not for that....I would be eyeballing a warmer climate, believe you me.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in New England..my first assignment with the USAF was northern CA (Travis AFB) which lasted about 16 months. I then got sent to Grand Forks ND where I learned that it's never too cold to snow, the wind doesn't have to stop blowing, and the human body adapts very quickly to the cold.

During my 3 winters of working on the flightline I wore all my cold weather gear once (-80 wind chill..had to get a plane into the wash rack while on holiday duty) and parka twice (my field jack was getting cleaned). Otherwise my winter ensemble was my fatigues with long john bottoms, mukluks with wool socks, field jack with liner, scarf, watch cap, and leather work gloves with wool liners. This was the standard dress for most guys...except Ray. He was from Guam and his body NEVER acclimated to the cold.

There were a couple times that really drove home just how cold it was. The first one was when I relieved myself between the MLG wheels and noted that it had frozen soild before I zipped up my fly. Then there was the time I dumped a gallon of milk on the passenger side floor of my car and it froze solid on the 3 minute ride to the dorm...I was able to just remove the "milkberg" and toss it in the snow.

The equipment took a beating in the cold and while wind chill doesn't impact machinery...the accelerated rate of cooling really does mess with it. I had brake assemblies, hyd. actuators, and engines suddenly just dump hydraulic fluid, oil, and fuel all over the ground.

We used to use up about case of starting fluid every week just starting the 16 Hobart diesel generator sets on the Alert Pad. One time we just let all 16 idle all night....the next morning 14 of them would kick up to high idle and they burned only about 1/3 of a tank of fuel. The ground equipment guys spent lots of time just warming up equipment to get it running.

All in all it was a great experience that I wouldn't want to change.

Latest posts

Back