What kind of fuel line to use ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adminfti

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greeting everyone, i'm wondering to know which kind of fuel line to use?

I have use this cheap clear fuel line from local small engine repair shop and they become stretch and hard like plastic in less than a month. Creating air leak in the fuel tank.

There is a pic :
View attachment 309203

I have found Nitrile black fuel line on eBay... Is this the right kind of fuel tube to use ?

Thank you for your fast and so gentle answer...

So i know 3 type of fuel line now...

The Vinyl type who are the type i use and it's crap!
The Nitrile type which one i dont know if its good.
And the Tygon type wich one i don't know if it stretch with the fuel and turn hard as plastic after few month...

I have used vinyl clear tube from wine making kits, and surplus medical (iv) tube.
It works fine, but I do t really recomend it...
Tygon is fairly cheap, and is actually for fuel...

I use regular Yellow or Blue fuel safe vinyl tubing. It is tygon. Clear vinyl won't do. Black is ok i guess but i've never used it as a replacement, it was always being replaced.

I have used clear vinyl on a scooter bike for 3 years with out it failing. its rock hard and still on the bike.

use yellow or blue tygon type/oregon fuel line as long as it isnt a molded fuel line its ethnol safe the benifit over any black line is you can see the fuel getting to the carb help trouble shoot invauable on snowmobiles ect.

Ethanol (corn sugar) is a problem too.

Keep in mind that an additive to neutralize the corn sugar that actually deteriorates your fuel line is a good thing along with a quality fuel line, like the ones mentioned. If you can find ethanol free or low ethanol gas you will notice that your lines stay flexible longer.

JR

SMEG (small engine gas)

I almost forgot.
:msp_w00t:
SMEG is now sold at The home centers and most power equipment stores. It has no ethanol.

Ditto on the Stihl fuel line or Tygon. If you can find the Rotary brand rubber line, it's pretty good too (and comes in thicker walled sizes as well - handy for homelite stuff). Any reputable/good small engine shop should have several kinds of line. Both shops I work at have about 5-10 different lines for two-stroke stuff in stock - that doesn't even count the bigger stuff for lawn mowers, etc.

The problem i have with cheap line like the one Vinyl i had use is the fuel line stretch after few weeks. And create an air leak in the fuel tank around the fuel line hole.

I guess the black one from OEM parts are made in Nitrile ?

I've just purchase 2 feet of yello Tygon F4040 at my local shop and ill try it... Which one are pretty cheap too 1.62$/ft

Ill be back in this thread when ill get my project done... for now i'm in the reassembly process...

Back