What kind of grass is this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12guns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My grandma has had a wonderful zoysia lawn for many years...In the past few years, something has taken over her front yard and I don't know what it it or how to get rid of it...It's some kind of creeping grass, grows in shoots. Medium course leaves, dark green in summertime. I'll try to attach a few pics...sorry it's dormant right now. Trying to figure out how to kill it w/o having to roundup and start over. Also, she has bare spots that seem to need something to get the ph right, just not sure what to add. Any help from the tree/lawn experts would be great!

I know it's not St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bermuda, or "crabgrass"...Based on reading online, I think it's some type of carpet grass, possibly Centipede grass? Any other takers?

If i pulled up a runner of centipede it would closely resemble what you post.

Any sprays that will kill it but not they zoysia? I've read that you can mix up a soapy, borax mixture that will kill it, but was wondering if anybody knew of a better chemical.

You should find a turfgrass or grass ID website. Try searching.

But for starters, virtually all grasses either unroll or unfold as the blades develop, leaving either a flat leaf blade, or a folded one.

That's a 50 / 50 split in choices right there alone.

But your images are shot from long distance only.

Back