What kind of shrub is this?? (PICS INCLUDED)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It had red berries - but seems to have lost most of them. I thought mapleleaf viburnum but I think those turn a blackish color by fall and these were bright red. What I really love about it is that it is still full with leaves and it is approaching late November - which means a great replacement screen for all of the buckthorn I am taking down...

Just need to figure out what it is???

Your first instinct was probably right. Maple leaf viburnum or high bush cranberry berries should stay red through winter, and not turn black. Now the buckthorn will have black berries.

I also realized that mapleleaf viburnum have a reddish leaf color in fall. this shrub seems to be just slowly browninf with may be a little yellow...really don't think it is maple leaf viburnum based on fall color and the red berries. Any other suggestions?

From the second picture, I would say American Highbush Cranberry, Vibernum trilobum. Nice bush, even hardy up here and further north.

Latest posts

Back