What kind of telespcopic pole pruner do you recomend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poles

I agree you dont want to touch the lines with anything but rather have jameson fiberglass than aluminum .aluminum poles are a sure electrocution is all im trying to tell you guys go with the fiberglass core filled keep it clean and yes a dirty or wet rope will conduct power and face the wires and be aware

I really like the wooden poles but I have hollow core jameson fiberglass poles. They work good until you try to attach three poles together then they get pretty wobbly, but you still can make small cuts with it. I used either a stihl or silky telescoping aluminum pole a few times and it cut really sweet, but the poles would always jam up. Also, as mentioned I don't like doing residential work with aluminum polesaws or ladders. We never had core filled poles when I used to do line clearance but the wooden and hollow fiberglass poles we had were used as hotsticks all the time. Core filled fiberglass poles are probably a little overkill just for residential work, but aluminum poles offer no protection. Sure you should never contact the line doing resdential work, but if a green horned groundsman picks it up he may not be as observant to electrical hazards as a seasoned groundsman or climber. Also if you ever do need a hotstick for some type of emergency, you definatly can't use an aluminum pole. Considering this topic and advice is for FTA, I think he should start out with at least a fiberglass pole since he may not have a keen eye for electrical hazards or accidently drop a branch into a powerline. FTA, if you read this, remember that as mentioned, a wet pole or string can still zap you. Maybe not at full potential, but definatly enough to bruise the heart and possibly kill you.

no fear is a stupid thing

This is comical, someone doesn't like what i have to say, so they think the answer is to criticize my sig. In your case, failure to understand punctuation is a stupid thing.

It's interesting, you obviously didn't like me correcting you. Think about it for a minute. This site has people of all experience levels. Your advice is spot on for guys who have been climbing a while. But the original poster in this thread comes across as very inexperienced. (No offense to the op, just the way i read you.) He doesn't know the limitations of the advice you gave him. He could read your post and think to himself "i'll get the jameson's, they'll protect me if i'm working around power." And 95% of the time, they will. But he doesn't have the experience to know the situations where the jameson's won't protect him. I'm not disagreeing with what you said at all. It's why i use the jameson's. However, i was attempting to apply your advice to the original poster's experience. You know and i know power can travel down wet poles, or the pruner string, does this guy?

As for my sig, very simple-got out of tree many years ago and there was a kid watching. He said, "man, you must have no fear?" I replied "no dude, fear is what keeps me from doing something stupid."
Check out the question mark and the comma.

got out of tree many years ago and there was a kid watching. He said, "man, you must have no fear?" I replied "no dude, fear is what keeps me from doing something stupid."

Great anecdote, and motto.

Yeah poles and wires; never the twain shall meet, or sparks fly!

:blob6:

Memories of poles past

Bought new for 40 bucks in 96 at HD. I fitted the original head with pro blades and the clip was pretty good.

polesawbroom001.jpg

The pole itself was rendered short prematurely ( in about 2 weeks) by a young lady driving through the cones but the head was around for quite some time. I took the blade off to clip and the string off to saw.

When I went back to get another pole they only had the newer version with the threaded collar which was nice compared to the wing-nut on the old one. I put the old head on the new pole which worked out to be lighter, sturdy and I used it for years and years ( still do, its over ten years old).But it wasn't a good tool for rope placement so I put a pro head on it after the original pole clip went south.

I recently got a longer Jameson. The yellow one ; as the 2nd old red fiska has started to fray ( after more years and years) on the inner pole at the bottom and the knobby on the threaded collar are worn down considerably. The yellow pole is like 14 feet which I find a tad to long when moving in the canopy so I guess I will shuffle down to the dam store and get a smaller unit. Here is what is on the end of the very first pole I ever bought and when I get the new shoter pole it will be my fourth.

polesawbroom002.jpg

Last edited:
Do not get an Echo-POS
The Stilhs are not much better, but if you need to use one, that is the tool for you/us.
All of the ones I have used are under powered and make poor cuts.
Maybe;) a ladder would be a better investment.

That's right ! but I think we are on to manual pole saws rather than power stick saws. Man, just Friday I was wearing my ass off thinking I should get one of those Stihl units that fit on my weed eater. Maybe not as tough as the actuall telescoping power stick saw.

That's the glint of the sun on a blade. It does look like the limbs are falling fast and numerous though so maybe its really a laser. Where do I get one?
Call Yewda; he'll fix you up! :clap:

Some of those branches may have been hangers; this was post-ice pruning and yes the owner caught the sun just right as i lasersliced those tips. :greenchainsaw:

Call Yewda; he'll fix you up! :clap:

Some of those branches may have been hangers; this was post-ice pruning and yes the owner caught the sun just right as i lasersliced those tips. :greenchainsaw:

I started to get excited when I saw it. Whne you first see the pic you see the fallen limbs and it makes you think that it was a laser

Quick interject. Bought the Sthil Powered pole saw. I thought it would be the answer to all my prayers. Extra 7' of reach, oh baby. Well, it does have its place. When I am doing a removal on a particularly bushy tree, it is nice for getting the bucket in to the trunk. You can slice off branches several feet back instead of going in 12" at a time with the T-handle. After I get to the trunk, I send it down. On the ground they are almost useless. I can cut faster with a Jameson/Fano than I can get the damned thing to start. Only Sthil I have that runs like crap. I have taken it in 3 times and the tech says it runs like the book says it should.

I'm not a big fan of the powerhead polesaws. There are times when it's been nice like when raising trees along a street for city contracts where you have miles of walking and trimming, or raising trees in a parking lot. The other nice thing is putting a hedge trimmer attachment on and cleaning up bushes or hedges, but aside from that, I hate useing them and they are generally the last tool in the shed I reach for.

Another vote for the Silky Hayauchi

Rigid enough to not crack or break but flexible enough to bend over 45 degrees if a branch hangs up on it without breaking it.

Honestly, one of the best tools you will ever buy for the money. I love the 21' Silky Hayauchi saw.

Only other saws I ever used were "hardware Store" brands. Still can't believe how well it cuts. It didn't take long to learn that you simply pull the saw toward you, don't apply downward pressure. The further it's extended, the better it cuts (must be the weight of the pole).

BTW, the instructions say to use the extensions only in the lockable positions.

Latest posts

Back